[PlayRaw] Hawkcraig Pier

Up bright and early with my shiny new Canon 750D + Canon 10-18mm lens.

I had a play with some long exposure photography at sunrise, I think I should have waited until I got my adaptor rings for my ND grad filter holder in the post.

Anyway, I’ve uploaded a photo, it’ll be interesting to see what, if anything can be done with it…
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike1)

IMG_0080.CR2 (23.9 MB)

Ignore the exif time / date, as I forgot to change the camera time & date!

I’ve probably a lot to learn about the new camera, so probably not a great shot to start with. But it’ll be interesting to see what people make of it (if anything)

3 Likes

This is my first try: (darktable)

IMG_0080IMG_0080.CR2.xmp (4.0 KB)

3 Likes

IMG_0080
Darktable: IMG_3129.CR2.xmp (8.1 KB)

6 Likes

IMG_0080-bgimp
first pass in rt IMG_0080.CR2.pp3 (11.0 KB)

second pass in rt IMG_0080-b.pp3 (10.8 KB)

and hsv noise in gimp

2 Likes

RT IMG_0080.CR2.pp3 (10.5 KB)
IMG_0080

4 Likes

Rawtherapee:

IMG_0080

1 Like

Darktable IMG_0080.CR2.xmp (11.4 KB)

2 Likes

Nice shot!
@Tobias I like your crop

Here’s my take in the newly rediscovered photoflow:
IMG_0080

Added some local contrast in the stones and the water, lifted the front, gradient on the sky, finally some saturation adjustments, et voila…

Nice image @Brian_Innes .Will like to see your interpretation too! Here is mine.
IMG_0080.jpg.out.pp3 (12.7 KB)
Then put frame using G’MIC and darkened the sky a bit using Multiply blend mode with layer mask, and a bit of levels - all in GIMP.
IMG_0080GIMP

1 Like

Thanks everyone for their processing attempts on the image. At first when I viewed raw file, I thought it was only fit for the bin! Having said that, looking closely at the raw file it seems that the focus is rather soft. Not sure much can be done about that in post processing though.

Perhaps I need to revisit the location once I’ve got a better handle on manual focussing with the camera & lens combination. The Canon 10-18 EF-S IS STM lens doesn’t have a distance scale on the focusing ring, which apparently is “focus by wire”. Lots to learn I think.

Although some good news is the step up rings for my ND grad holders arrived in the post today,so I can use th ND grads with the 10-18 & 18-55mm lenses.

1 Like

Merci @Brian_Innes for the lovely image (in) raw. Nice versions everybody!!

Gimp and Gmic while listening to this station (they’re friends of mine, :whale: so I have to listen)

I was planning to upload the video from the editing with the soundtrack from the radio… but is too much CPU involved, so I downgraded my idea to a 2nd hand wooden leg, aka the irritable gif :stuck_out_tongue: - If anybody is annoyed by it, have no prob in removing it

8 Likes

Here’s my take on it. That was fun, thanks!

IMG_0080.CR2.xmp (21.0 KB)
IMG_0080

1 Like

This one I like very much and I would be interested in what you did. Sorry the gif, though a nice idea, is a little to chaotic to understand your doing. I just see a lot of luminosity masks for local manipulation?

I must ask @chroma_ghost, how you managed to get all the gimp toolbars etc into one window? I’m loving how you processed the photo, looks like you had quite a bit of work in Gimp!

I was too lasy to get up early this morning in time to head down to the location for dawn to try and get more focused shots. I think I’ll need to experiment more with the camera to get low light focusing sorted out.

1 Like

Second try in rt IMG_0080.CR2c.pp3 (11.4 KB)

IMG_0080

1 Like

@Brian_Innes Windows > single wiondow mode
then organize to your heart’s desire. I personalize each gimp differently in this one dark theme and PS shortcuts =)

@McCap you’ve spolied us with those tutorials :stuck_out_tongue:

Full disclosure. I started on photoflow, linear version, as it seemed to me that the portray of the little dock’s advanced decay would need lumii masks, hey hoo lumii masks in D housse!!! I abandoned ship as soon as I saw the mph fireflies; little yellow dots that appear unannounced and ruin everything… aka miyazaki’s pixels from hell.

Important things come to those relaxed, said the tsunami, so I went to the gimp’s house. McGimp-2.9-cce version, compiled by Partha, the 2.8.x versions run faster but this has no ceeling. Loaded nufraw and the main excitement there was to (previous testing) bump exposure with input curve, turn clip highlights to soft caress and turn down contrast, think that was it.

Residue_2017b_1_web

Once in Gimp the first thing I did was to apply Dfine from (just bought from Goo by DXO) Nik collection… we’re old friends and I kinda know what to expect from its denoiser algae; that said there was somewhere a bug we already talked about using a new layer and apply effects “on current one”.

Residue_2017b_2_web

Residue_2017b_3_web

Then created luma masks (community extensions). G’mic showtime now.
Dynamic range increase (use this a lot) further screened by spliting in darker and lighter layers and opacities,
Residue_2017b_4_web

split details (wavelets) with 10th power bold guy’s punk, turn visibility on/off and/or adjust opacities and applying L mask to each if needed. Sky was too jaunty so new from visible and multiplyed on the lighter parts, still had to brush on mask’s bottom part.

Residue_2017b_6_web

Residue_2017b_7_web

Lazy that I am duplicated that layer set blend mode to screen, inverted mask and turned down opacity, yes those lovely wet pusies, I mean rocks needed some, made a nice whale shape out of a curve layer also. Irish violins and another glass of dunnos… yiihaaaa!!!

Residue_2017b_8_web

Back to super gmic and in custom LUT, I applied my own (for personal ref v4-1EV.cube), tweaked a bit parameters.Residue_2017b_9_web

Argggghhh it looks too strong and instead of going back and turn down gmic’s strengh I go forward (the abyss) and mitigate its effects by adding a luma mask duplicating listening the accordion forgetting the voices or the b…

Residue_2017b_10_web

finally, completelly dizzy I flattern and apply a Tmax 400 grain with tweaked settings. How does the baby looks like? She’s beauuuutiful =) but I can tell I’m not the father (rosemary’s baby obscure ref).

Residue_2017b_11_web

Deep fried thoughts
My 2 main concerns were to preserve sky (do not burn) while increasing overall exposure and gain some definition (tonemapping) while preserving the tones and (softish) texture of watter-sky. I also developed it like this 'cause for the web… as many impurities are masked out in the downscaling. Below 1:1 version. Took me 56 minutes with this soft setup, in say PS would have taken 10/15 min max (manily has to do with speed and my knowledge of the platform and tools used) BUT I must say I enjoy the slow, convoluted trip to Kazakhst in a different manner, like trying new approaches, or listening to music, and organize the thousand loose threads and seed of ideas populating upper part of body, etc. between remderings =)

100%
IMG_0080_GG_100perc_web

PS
For those with an avid eye, the bluring at the end (of gif) was part of one LMI (last minute idea) that did not work.

6 Likes

A terribly boring one, trying to do with darktable something similar than before using LightZone. Listening to the “friend’s radio”, that - edit - works well.

IMG_0080_02.CR2.xmp (10.3 KB)

1 Like

@chroma_ghost, thanks for the very informative tutorial! You’ve certainly put a lot of work into developing the photo! Just a shame the original photo I took was rather soft & noisy.

I’ll certainly have a look at everyones suggestions of how to process the image, and give a go myself!

My Darktable try

and the XMP file IMG_0080.CR2.xmp (8.1 KB)

2 Likes

Just fooled around a bit with darktable.

IMG_0080
IMG_0080.CR2.xmp (11.3 KB)