[PlayRaw] Heath

IMG_8994.CR2.xmp (16.0 KB, darktable 2.6.2)

While working with the raw, the image became more interesting. So many highlights appeared as i walked through my process.
One great improvement was putting a soften effect on the fog which added some dream-like atmosphere in opposite to the strong colors and contrasts in the foreground.
In the lower left side pink is the dominant color, in the lower right it is green. The background has got weaker colors.
It looks like the sun is giving the pink color to the left side while the tree gives the green to the right side.

4 Likes

RT + Gimp.

I really like @paulmiller s version!

3 Likes

My attempt with the first image, using mostly the tone mapping tool and several curves applied locally to the top and bottom parts of the image:

IMG_9010.pfi (53.5 KB)

4 Likes

Just wanted to give a +1 to the “what and why”. I find it very helpful.
Cheers,
Dave

2 Likes

Thanks, David. That’s really why I wrote my software the way I did; to ‘lay flat’ what’s going on. I’m not a great fan of abstracting stuff in software, IMHO keeps people from understanding things they need to understand.

BTW, I’m from the Louisiana, USA, Butcher clan… :slight_smile:

RT 5.6

IMG_8994.jpg.out.pp3 (11,8 KB)

IMG_9010.jpg.out.pp3 (11,8 KB)

3 Likes

RT 5.6

fieldsun.RT1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

1 Like

I grew up in Ontario, but now live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. (I’ve never been to Louisiana, but maybe it’s time to pay a visit to my long-lost cousins … :slightly_smiling_face: )
I don’t say a lot on this board, but I really like the [PlayRaw] submissions, and I always appreciate your contributions. Thanks!

I must thank everyone for the rawplaying. So many different approaches, some subtle, some not so subtle :). And as @David_Butcher noted, i really dig the explanations of @ggbutcher and @pphoto of what they are doing / trying to achieve.

Thanks!

1 Like

Nice shots. Very atmospheric!

This attempt is based on my second entry of [PlayHalfBaked] Unclipped sunset panorama - #17 by afre with no crop, 2 tweaked parameters and an additional vignette. As follows gmic filter pixels, reverse softlight, brightness-contrast, local contrast, brightness-contrast, softlight, multiply, decrease chroma, vignette, sharpen-resize

Adds to the mystery. Zoom and enjoy!

3 Likes

My try. Great images!

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

Using @agriggio’s ART (his fork of RT):

4 Likes

IMG_9010.pfi (36.2 KB)

IMG_8994.CR2.xmp (8.3 KB)

3 Likes

… and the second one.

IMG_8994.CR2.xmp (14.6 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (4.4 KB)
darktable+gimp/gmic
darktable was mainly filmc and local contrast x2
gimp all gmic filters used equalize local histograms, denoise and provia film simulation

2 Likes

Love this shot!

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

darktable 2.6.2
IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (9,1 Ko)

7 Likes

Lovely rendition @kakashy!

2 Likes

Stunning photographs. Hence a very gentle treatment of the first one in GIMP.
Darkened the foreground and a little at the sides with a blurred, hand drawn mask. The remainder done with curves. Also a slight crop.

1 Like

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (35.8 KB)

6 Likes