[PlayRaw] Heath

My attempt with the first image, using mostly the tone mapping tool and several curves applied locally to the top and bottom parts of the image:

IMG_9010.pfi (53.5 KB)

4 Likes

Just wanted to give a +1 to the “what and why”. I find it very helpful.
Cheers,
Dave

2 Likes

Thanks, David. That’s really why I wrote my software the way I did; to ‘lay flat’ what’s going on. I’m not a great fan of abstracting stuff in software, IMHO keeps people from understanding things they need to understand.

BTW, I’m from the Louisiana, USA, Butcher clan… :slight_smile:

RT 5.6

IMG_8994.jpg.out.pp3 (11,8 KB)

IMG_9010.jpg.out.pp3 (11,8 KB)

3 Likes

RT 5.6

fieldsun.RT1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

1 Like

I grew up in Ontario, but now live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. (I’ve never been to Louisiana, but maybe it’s time to pay a visit to my long-lost cousins … :slightly_smiling_face: )
I don’t say a lot on this board, but I really like the [PlayRaw] submissions, and I always appreciate your contributions. Thanks!

I must thank everyone for the rawplaying. So many different approaches, some subtle, some not so subtle :). And as @David_Butcher noted, i really dig the explanations of @ggbutcher and @pphoto of what they are doing / trying to achieve.

Thanks!

1 Like

Nice shots. Very atmospheric!

This attempt is based on my second entry of [PlayHalfBaked] Unclipped sunset panorama - #17 by afre with no crop, 2 tweaked parameters and an additional vignette. As follows gmic filter pixels, reverse softlight, brightness-contrast, local contrast, brightness-contrast, softlight, multiply, decrease chroma, vignette, sharpen-resize

Adds to the mystery. Zoom and enjoy!

3 Likes

My try. Great images!

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

Using @agriggio’s ART (his fork of RT):

4 Likes

IMG_9010.pfi (36.2 KB)

IMG_8994.CR2.xmp (8.3 KB)

3 Likes

… and the second one.

IMG_8994.CR2.xmp (14.6 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (4.4 KB)
darktable+gimp/gmic
darktable was mainly filmc and local contrast x2
gimp all gmic filters used equalize local histograms, denoise and provia film simulation

2 Likes

Love this shot!

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

darktable 2.6.2
IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (9,1 Ko)

7 Likes

Lovely rendition @kakashy!

2 Likes

Stunning photographs. Hence a very gentle treatment of the first one in GIMP.
Darkened the foreground and a little at the sides with a blurred, hand drawn mask. The remainder done with curves. Also a slight crop.

1 Like

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (35.8 KB)

6 Likes

DT 3.0.1 very inspiring picture, Thanks

IMG_9010.CR2.xmp (10.7 KB)

1 Like

Using Art, a very well done image.

IMG_9010-art.jpg.out.arp (10.8 KB)

1 Like