PlayRaw: Image That Requires No Processing

@black_daveth asked for a Nikon Z lens-based PlayRaw, so here goes…

This is one of the first images I shot with m Nikon Z 6. So many things about this image intrigue me, firstoff the scene: Grocery-store bouquet I’d brought home that day, in a vase sitting in our kitchen sink, lit by a north-facing bay window. Y’don’t need a priceless location…

And, and, the particular arrangement of the light, along with a somewhat carefully chosen exposure IIRC, and the rendition I’m posting Requires NO Processing, beside the requisite black-subtract, white balance (with as-shot multipliers), and a decent demosaic:

No tone curve other than the gamma 2.2 curve in the export-to-sRGB color profile; yep, filmic, sigmoid, log, whatever - not needed.

No distortion/vignetting correction. Vignetting is just subsumed by the shadows, but distortion isn’t evident even in the sweeping curves of the leaves at the top. I tried the lensfun profile correction, it just makes the leaves curve differently.

No color correction. The camera profile is the simple matrix profile libraw supplied. I think even the purples resolve nicely in the destination gamut.

This is the kit Nikkor S 24-70/4 lens. Every place I look in the image is well-resolved, somewhat owing to the f11 depth-of-field, but it’s just clean and crisp overall, well to my eye at least. I went from a DX D7000 to full frame here, so that observation may be a bit jaundiced…

Anyway, here’s the raw:
DSZ_0445.NEF (27.8 MB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

16 Likes

DSZ_0445_01.NEF.xmp (17.7 KB)
DT 4.7 dev

2 Likes

DSZ_0445.NEF.xmp (14.5 KB)

4 Likes

My version

DSZ_0445.NEF.xmp (15.4 KB)

4 Likes

Ah, yours reminds me of developing the image with my spectral LUT profile, saturated the colors nicely like yours…

Thanks! I just did a slight adjustment because I didn’t like the green in the yellow flower using a mask + rgb primaries and added just a tad more saturation.

1 Like

Beautiful shot. My softer version.

DSZ_0445.NEF.xmp (9.6 KB)

8 Likes

Nice Shot
With ART 1.21

DSZ_0445.NEF.arp (12.8 KB)

Greetings. Roberto

2 Likes

It’s funny, most are amping up the color, looking nice, and I go back to my original and now it looks so dull… :laughing:

1 Like

In life and photography, everything is relative.

2 Likes

DSZ_0445.jpg.out.pp3 (11.4 KB)

4 Likes

Hello,

Thanks for sharing, I had a lot of fun, maybe a little too much.
Here are two versions of this shot, one in vibrant color and the other in monochrome.

DSZ_0445.NEF.xmp (28.5 KB)

DSZ_0445_02.NEF.xmp (25.1 KB)

This playraw has enabled me to test the new color equalizer module in version Marter (4.7), thank you.

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

5 Likes

Every image requires processing to bring out the photographers vision.
DSZ_0445.NEF.xmp (22.9 KB)

2 Likes

I’d say from this exercise my vision is quite dull … :laughing:

Actually, I get that a lot, wife is constantly asking me to “brighten-up” selected family snaps.

I’ve done that too, surprising how much texture there is…

1 Like

I actually feel this shot lent itself more to your D7000. The crop sensor would use a shorter focal length to get the same coverage and with everything else being equal such as the chosen aperture you would have more depth of field so the yellow flower would be sharper. Full frames have advantages in some circumstances but they also tend to have shallower depth of field due to using longer focal length lenses. Don’t retire your D7000 yet.

Interesting observation… I’ve been so enamored with the increase dynamic range and resolution of full frame I hadn’t considered those implications of the depth-of-field. Thanks!

I’m occasionally using the D7000 with a 70-300mm so I don’t have to change lenses for reach in dusty situations. None of my renditions get larger than your browser, so this camera still works for me…

1 Like

I went with a darker, softer version too, but couldn’t seem to help myself pushing a bit more contrast in there…

DSZ_0445.NEF.xmp (14.3 KB)

3 Likes

My latest camera is a Canon R7 which has a crop sensor. It brings out the most of my telephoto lenses because of the crop factor. Full frames bring out the most from wide angle lenses and makes them a great choice for landscape and architecture. Your D7000 is probably the better choice for macro. I also use a Canon G16 compact camera for street scenes at night when travelling. The f1.8 lens combined with a 6mm lens gives great depth of field while letting lots of light in. BTW, mirrorless cameras are equally good as a video camera or a still camera which is a big bonus when travelling.

1 Like

I’d say all flowers should be created equal !

DSZ_0445.NEF.xmp (36.4 KB)

5 Likes