[PlayRaw] Into the Fog

Nice image, thanks.

2 Likes

PC210169.jpg.out.pp3 (11.2 KB)

5 Likes

My very late kick at the can…

PC210169.ORF.xmp (7.5 KB)

3 Likes

Testing hardware and software. Darktable and GIMP/G’MIC on new box.
Capture is excellent how it is, processing may easily produce unsatisfactory result.

2 Likes

Nothing spectacular, but I wanted to get more into Camera Mapping with GIMP and Blender. Used this image :]

11 Likes

Wow, nice result!
Did you have to manually cut each bird out by hand? :wink:

1 Like

Thanks!

I made one .png for all the birds and mapped them on planes in 3D. A bit inaccurate but it worked :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I love neat solutions to odd problems! :wink: I’d say the effect played very well!

1 Like

@dav Very nice. I actually pictured such an animation but quickly dismissed the thought because there was no way I could do that. :stuck_out_tongue: But you have!

1 Like

PC210169-dt-film

so many ways to play with this one.
I went simple in darktable, filmc and then local contrast
in gimp did denoise then ran it through gmic simulate film, choosing fuji astia
then went for 3:2 crop thinking 35mm film

3 Likes

That looks very good. Felt like it is from a documentary for a second.

2 Likes

Still in colour. RT and sizing and levels in the GIMP to bring out background more and alter darkness distribution

Might try B&W conversion later.

John

5 Likes

Welcome back @Ajohn. Thanks for sharing your take. This raw image keeps on giving. :slight_smile:

PS Would you mind sharing the pp3 or is it embedded in the jpg (I haven’t checked)?

Thought I had uploaded it but I;m finding the site a bit odd on firefox. Seems to be ok but no cursor when I type. :wink: At times just got one.

PC210169.ORF.pp3 (11.4 KB)
There is a spot white balance on the surf. I like the slight sky colour.

John

PC210169.ORF.xmp (19.1 KB)

2 Likes

Thought I’d try a B&W. To be different I used Delalab as it uses layers and the settings for some of the layers can be adjusted on the fly.

Nice software for something like this when contrast etc may need adjusting after the conversion. The sharpening layer is a bit uncontrollable, left slight haloes but looks like it may be useful for other work.

Last thing done was a weak soft light layer in the GIMP with a slight blur on the layer.

John

2 Likes

Actually like the chunkiness of the sharpening.

My experiment : B&W conversion with Darktable (channel mixer/ Light& Shadows / Fog remover)

PC210169_01.ORF.xmp (5.6 KB)

4 Likes

PC210169.ORF.xmp (10,6 Ko) darktable 2.6.2 version 2

2 Likes

Cropped it, composed it using the negative space to the right and edited in Black and white (with color toning). Would have added some fog if I knew how to use GIMP/Affinity Photo.

1 Like