[PlayRaw] Into the Fog

This is an old image taken on a foggy day down at my wife’s work.
It’s a crew/supply boat making it’s way out to a platform down here in Lower Alabama (or, LA as I like to call it - apologies to @paperdigits and anyone else in SoCal).

Into%20the%20Fog%20-%2050

PC210169.ORF (13.3 MB)
This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike)

The colors were already super desaturated from the day, so I resorted to focusing on the textures. Particularly in the water. I don’t think I managed to get very good detail from the clouds, but I’m not sure if that helps or hinders the image overall. If I was going to try and tease out more details in the clouds I might only just make them visible to not detract from the rest of the frame.

PC210169.ORF.pp3 (4.1 KB)

23 Likes

Did you really use RT 4.0.11.32 to process this image?

1 Like

I told you it was old! :wink:

I suppose I could revisit it in your fancy new RawTherapee…

1 Like

Hmm, processing your raw with the pp3 you attached I dont get that monochrome result…

It’s quite possible that I delayed the monochrome conversion to GIMP. I may also have produced a few different versions to support blending later in GIMP. In that case the .pp3 likely only shows the last version I created. The rest are likely lost to time (I just checked and I apparently didn’t bother to save the .XCF either…).

Sooooo… no apologies warranted to residents and expatriates from the rightful owner of the LA postal code: Louisiana? As a Cajun expat, Ah Ahm Deeaply Aufended… :smile:

Regarding the image, I’ll give it a try in RT 5.5 when I get home…

2 Likes

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

I love me some of the deep south down Houma way! :slight_smile:

PC210169.ORF.pp3 (12.9 KB)

9 Likes

PC210169
PC210169.ORF.xmp (7,7 KB)

8 Likes

3 Likes

PC210169_01

PC210169.ORF.xmp (8.1 KB)

Edit: some color ajustement

3 Likes

Ouch, that blue/yellow shift really hurts my eyes

'Ere y’go:

Processing is in the EXIF tag ImageDescription. Really, just standard dcraw to Prophoto, blackwhitepoint scaling, and a somewhat squirrely curve.

Edit: My brother rides these things, mostly out of Morgan City, LA (!) bringing specialized tools to the rigs. Back in my ‘youth’ I rode a boat to work daily for almost two years. Only fun for the first week or so, then very much not fun for the duration.

1 Like

RawTherapee only. A colour version for once :slight_smile:

PC210169.ORF.pp3 (12.3 KB)

Thanks @patdavid for the awesome RAW :smiley:

1 Like

Filmulated (1.0𝛃) and RawTherapized (5.5-dev)

PC210169-output.tif.pp3 (11.1 KB)

5x5 soft Median Filter N.R. w/ Pre & Post Sharpening Contrast Thresholds used.

4 Likes

PC210169
PC210169.ORF.xmp (7.4 KB)
I found I couldn’t do much with the sky without detrimental affect on the water. To me, the picture is less about the fog (despite your title @patdavid, sorry), and more about the effect of the swell in the water on the boat. The water is the star of the show, and the boat the supporting actor (and the seagulls are the extras!).

2 Likes

Wow. What an intriguing image @patdavid. There are so many interpretations one can give to this image. Here is my first attempt using just the LAB module (with some local contrast and Contrast by Detail thrown in). There might be more!
PC210169.jpg.out.pp3 (12.2 KB)
PC210169

3 Likes

OMG! What a photo @patdavid !

It reminds me of the seascapes of painter Ivan Aivazovsky. :slight_smile:

My try with darktable an GIMP:

PC210169

The story I saw in this picture: “The birds telling us something and there is light on the horizon. It could be the sun, we don’t know. Let’s see.” :smile:

18 Likes

Not that much fog :wink: , great picture!

Here is my tryout, with Raw Therapee.

PC210169.jpg.out.pp3 (12.5 KB)
PC210169

1 Like

Wow you people never fail to amaze me.

@Thomas_Do made the image even more dramatic I think and I love it. The gray fog with the lighter clouds peeking in at the top really are neat!

@ggbutcher - I’ve built more of those boats than I can remember these days… (not true - i remember every one of them!). Love your water, btw. Almost surreal.

@stefan.chirila - same with your water, and I think cropping a bit tighter really makes better sense.

@martin.scharnke - You know, you may be right. Cropping the top helps to snap focus a bit more on the interesting things happening in the frame.

@s7habo - This may be my personal favorite of the bunch. Especially after looking through your link of paintings. You nailed the color and feeling for sure (I would legitimately print this and hang it on my wall). - would be willing to share a dtstyle for the result?

Thank you all (so far) for posting so many great takes! Keep 'em coming! :smiley:

1 Like