[PlayRaw] Phởtography: A Bowl Of Soup From My Friend's Phở Restaurant In Cu Chi, Vietnam

PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2 (23.1 MB)
This file is licensed
(Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike) by me, Richard Barber.

Here’s my result using a Mac OSX build of the latest locallab_dev branch of RawTherapee:

Phở Bò Viên (Vietnamese beef noodle soup with meatballs)

Here’s a link to the mac app I used in case anyone also wants to try that out.

Or just use your favorite free open source tools!

4 Likes

Any chance you could specify a license for the raw file for us?

For an example, you can see the previous play_raw entries, like mine:

This file is licensed [![](upload://wT0ghKS9OwigO3PEOAp0iL483QQ.png)](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ "Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0")
([Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike](https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/ "Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0")) by me, _Pat David_.

Which will render as:

This file is licensed
(Creative Commons, Attribution-ShareAlike) by me, Pat David.

Yes.

@HIRAM, I like your phởtography. I had phở yesterday but it was 8-bit quality.

And/Or the recipe for the soup :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Being half-vietnamese myself, this is a weekly dish for me (or Huế style). :slight_smile:

PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.pp3 (11.2 KB)

Exposure adjustment to brighten things up a bit. Highlight compression. A bit of Portra for some color.

5 Likes

Gioi Qua! The Portra touch was good for the fresh greens.

Traditional 4-5 hour south vietnamese pho broth with apples, onions, beef bone, pepper, star anise, fish sauce, etc. served with sliced meatballs (Bo Vien) various cuts of beef, and fresh mints. The exact recipe is in the creative mind of the chef, Hông.

2 Likes

Thanks, hopefully it wasn’t too RAW for you. Ba’dum Tsssss.

1 Like

The only ‘color’ manipulation was using a ProPhoto working space, which I think brings out the greens:

A bit of NLMeans denoise and sharpen, save to JPEG with a sRGB profile. I’m doing color management on my tablet without benefit of a display calibration, so feedback is appreciated

1 Like

I warmed it up and turned Drama to 58.

2 Likes

@patdavid Bún bò Huế is one of my absolute favorite things in the world. Having grown up just a bit south of San Jose, CA, I was lucky to have spent a lot of time in Little Vietnam (both my parents worked in South San Jose right near the heart of Little Vietnam). Luckily, most other places I’ve moved to since then also have great Vietnamese neighborhoods where I can get my fix! I once started an informal “playoffs” of Phở joints in Phoenix (a place called UnPhởgettable won)! Luckily, San Diego has some great places too, and I’m enjoying discovering all of them!

1 Like

Here’s my ideal Vietnamese soup menu in order of my preference…

1 Hu Tieu
2 Bun Rieu Oc
3 Mi Vit Tiem
4 Pho Dac Biet Xe Lua
5 Bun Bo Hue

Only used LAB and Wavelet tools extensively. And a little bit of negative vignette for the left side and white balance adjustment:
PHO_BO_VIEN.jpg.out.pp3 (10.2 KB)

4 Likes

Shortly after that post, I worked on the RAW and was about to post the result… then all of the sudden, I had to send my father to the hospital. He has since been stabilized but I have to be by his side to closely monitor his vitality and safety and otherwise care for his needs. Anyway, I had zero sleep and have an unjustified parking fine to pay, so I won’t be describing my post-processing method anytime soon; but I wanted to share the result. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Wow, appreciate that @afre! Thanks for posting your work, it looks delicious.

1 Like

Darktable: Equalizer, LAB adjustment (with mask), exposure, and highlights and shadows.

1 Like

This is not a traditional food in Finland, but looks delicious!

PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.xmp (7.2 KB)

1 Like

Oh no! I hope he has a quick recovery! :frowning:

1 Like

Thought I’d have a go at this. All done in darktable.

PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.xmp (10.9 KB)

1 Like