[PlayRaw] Phởtography: A Bowl Of Soup From My Friend's Phở Restaurant In Cu Chi, Vietnam

@patdavid Bún bò Huế is one of my absolute favorite things in the world. Having grown up just a bit south of San Jose, CA, I was lucky to have spent a lot of time in Little Vietnam (both my parents worked in South San Jose right near the heart of Little Vietnam). Luckily, most other places I’ve moved to since then also have great Vietnamese neighborhoods where I can get my fix! I once started an informal “playoffs” of Phở joints in Phoenix (a place called UnPhởgettable won)! Luckily, San Diego has some great places too, and I’m enjoying discovering all of them!

1 Like

Here’s my ideal Vietnamese soup menu in order of my preference…

1 Hu Tieu
2 Bun Rieu Oc
3 Mi Vit Tiem
4 Pho Dac Biet Xe Lua
5 Bun Bo Hue

Only used LAB and Wavelet tools extensively. And a little bit of negative vignette for the left side and white balance adjustment:
PHO_BO_VIEN.jpg.out.pp3 (10.2 KB)

4 Likes

Shortly after that post, I worked on the RAW and was about to post the result… then all of the sudden, I had to send my father to the hospital. He has since been stabilized but I have to be by his side to closely monitor his vitality and safety and otherwise care for his needs. Anyway, I had zero sleep and have an unjustified parking fine to pay, so I won’t be describing my post-processing method anytime soon; but I wanted to share the result. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Wow, appreciate that @afre! Thanks for posting your work, it looks delicious.

1 Like

Darktable: Equalizer, LAB adjustment (with mask), exposure, and highlights and shadows.

1 Like

This is not a traditional food in Finland, but looks delicious!

PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.xmp (7.2 KB)

1 Like

Oh no! I hope he has a quick recovery! :frowning:

1 Like

Thought I’d have a go at this. All done in darktable.

PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.xmp (10.9 KB)

1 Like

Using LightZone:

Custom;PHO_BO_VIEN.lzt.7z (1.6 KB)

1 Like

A more daylight-from-the-5-o’clock-direction feel, also with RT5 locallab.

2 Likes

soup.pp3 (11.0 KB)

2 Likes

That’s gooood soup! Mine, with basic adjustments in Darktable and some flair added in GIMP.

.xmp: PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.xmp (3.6 KB)

.xcf:This file is large

Pay no attention to the sharp transition on the inside edge. Didn’t realize it was there until I already exported and it just didn’t bother me enough to fix it. :yum:

2 Likes

RawTherapee and GIMP to remove the blemish

PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.pp3 (9.3 KB)

2 Likes

Another one I missed so far …

PHO_BO_VIEN
PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.xmp (8.9 KB)

darktable 2.5 (master):

PHO_BO_VIEN.CR2.xmp (32.5 KB)

1 Like

Thats a little bit to red for my taste.

Red is known to make people hungry, so that’s why.

Merci @HIRAM for the sopu+raw, it really looks delicious and {accent of a french guy who has lived 30 in the philipines} power(gh)foul. I salute you, fellow developeers =)

It’s so funny… one does start the processing but the path only’s clear when one’s doing it, when one’s ON IT; maybe’s just me. Now I recall once hearing a *beep saying the only possible path is the one under our feet or was it stay on the scene like a sex machine… oh I’m confussed :thinking:

Anyway, a photoflow approach

PHO_BO_VIEN.tif.pfi (64.5 KB)

then a rawtherapee + g’mic power smudgin’ . Output from RT

PHO_BO_VIEN.tif.out.pp3 (11.4 KB)

After gmic’s massage, decided on a slightly tweaked provia 100f film-emón

I saved a resized 16b int #1 xcf in case someone wanst to have a look; probably the following gifs are enough :snake:

PHO_BO_VIEN_1200.xcf (53.4 MB)

sorry for so many images, but is part of the process, non? Petete r
Gmic’s LUT settings, with a strange preview rendition

and to end in style a jhroma-hungry-being that came attached to phf’s tif… go figure, I called her Fárimas

Cheers

PS
#1 edited to emend that the xcf is 16b int

3 Likes

3 Likes