[PlayRaw] Problems, problems, problems

Bali, vacation, rice fields…nice, I thought, with all my new knowledge and processing power this should be a walk in the park. So I developed the picture, equalized contrast, made it nice and colorful and…Yikes!
This rice is mighty green :fearful:

Went slower on the color and degreened the green and, phew, better. But then there was this purple in the palm leaves…D%&/!!

Corrected that and finally had a picture which looked…boring!
Why? :cry:
Ahh, equalized the contrast too much. The eye is lead nowhere, everything looks the same, the rice, the sky, the palm trees…ok, another try…

Develop the sky and the earth separately, imported into Gimp. Did a nice blending and, nope! Went overboard, looked nice from a distance but zoomed in huge mistakes were visible in the transition between the palm trees and the sky. :sob:

So again :rage: This time developed everything nicely, then went to Gimp did some little things with masks to lead the eye and finally a version which I think is ok.

So all in all this was a real challenge and a huge learning experience for me. And still I think it could be better. So I am reaaaally curious want you fine people will come up with.

My result:

Raw: IMG_8936.CR2 (19.8 MB)

4 Likes

Here is my attempt.
After playing with it in RT, I used GIMP with Sharpen Texture and Tone Enhancer 2 filters from GMIC applied to select parts via layer masks.
Then made a B&W copy and overlayed it on the sky of the colour image to give depth to the clouds in the sky.
Finally applied the frame filter from GMIC to give the photo a classic look. :wink:

Thanks for a thoroughly enjoyable image.

6 Likes

my pass in RT and nik cfx and sfx

1 Like

I cropped (prob a bit too heavy), layer mask on sky boosting contrast, film emulation GMIC Kodachrome 64, tone enhance, warming filter and slight vignette

1 Like

How did you get the grass to look as if the sun was shining on it?

With some local contrast added in Rawtherapee.

1 Like

Tone enhancer 2 filter applied with layer mask only to the grass. In that
filter, I only adjusted the gamma. I suppose there are other ways to do it
too.

Hm, had some oldish James Bond reminiscence … (darktable)

6 Likes

Really nice variations so far. This is truly intreresting as I am personally stuck with an image of the place and can’t deviate much from it. But you people have a totally different approach…

@chris: What did you do to the sky, and how did you get that hazy, “spilled light” feeling?

If you are interested in details, you should be able to load the jpeg as xmp in darktable. I applied the bloom iop to get rid of details in the sky and did some teal/orange toning with the colour correction, plus a little contrast reduction/shifting with the zone system and darkening of lower left/upper right. The letter box was tricky, it was done with the frame module, to skip additional editing in GIMP.

1 Like

IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (21.2 KB)

Thanks for sharing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It got a little wild in darktable: split toning, equalizer, shadow/highlight…
IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (5.6 KB)

2 Likes

Using what I remembered from the Harry Durgin low+high pass video, I threw the kitchen sink at it:

IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (7.7 KB)

2 Likes

Aloha everyone. That is a beautiful shot. I just love the rice? in the foreground, and the smoke, and the old roofs. I got a little artistic with it too :slight_smile: Tried to give a little bit of a sunny feel and some nice rich colors for a relaxed atmosphere. Took me 3 passes in Darktable.

I’d be glad to attach my xmp files if anyone’s interested. But I’m new to this group and don’t have permission yet.

IMG_8936_01.tif.xmp (5.2 KB)
IMG_8936.tif.xmp (5.3 KB)
IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (10.3 KB)

7 Likes

Had a go! Lightzone plus GIMP (G’MIC Kodachome 25 plus frame):

Regards,
Biff

1 Like

Great!

My status got elevated and I was able to upload my xmp files :slight_smile: Yay!

1 Like

Sorry, @harry_durgin! I was on work travel or I would have elevated your account as soon as I could! :slight_smile:

(I did go ahead and push it up anyway, just to be sure).

1 Like

Sorry, I do not see the xmp. I know it’s my fault. Where is it kept?

They show up for me at the underneath the picture I posted.