[PlayRaw] Problems, problems, problems

Using what I remembered from the Harry Durgin low+high pass video, I threw the kitchen sink at it:

IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (7.7 KB)

2 Likes

Aloha everyone. That is a beautiful shot. I just love the rice? in the foreground, and the smoke, and the old roofs. I got a little artistic with it too :slight_smile: Tried to give a little bit of a sunny feel and some nice rich colors for a relaxed atmosphere. Took me 3 passes in Darktable.

I’d be glad to attach my xmp files if anyone’s interested. But I’m new to this group and don’t have permission yet.

IMG_8936_01.tif.xmp (5.2 KB)
IMG_8936.tif.xmp (5.3 KB)
IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (10.3 KB)

7 Likes

Had a go! Lightzone plus GIMP (G’MIC Kodachome 25 plus frame):

Regards,
Biff

1 Like

Great!

My status got elevated and I was able to upload my xmp files :slight_smile: Yay!

1 Like

Sorry, @harry_durgin! I was on work travel or I would have elevated your account as soon as I could! :slight_smile:

(I did go ahead and push it up anyway, just to be sure).

1 Like

Sorry, I do not see the xmp. I know it’s my fault. Where is it kept?

They show up for me at the underneath the picture I posted.

Opss… I just have seen it above. Thanks.
But… Why there are also two tif.xmp? I am missing something due to my ignorance :disappointed:

Thanks, Harry. I just have discovered them :slight_smile:

I did a first pass to get the white balance, denoise, large scale tonal adjustments, etc. The 2nd pass was to get into shading and more color enhancement, then a final pass for white and black points, final sharpening and such. I saved as tif in between each pass.

I understand now :thumbsup:

1 Like

Hello @McCap,
I like the picture, it makes me think of my old Chuck Norris movies, like “missing in action”.

I tried an HDR again and finished it in RT with a self brewed HaldClut to vintage B&W.
The HDR made from script : one neutral, one +1.5, one -1.5 in RT → then LuminanceHDR → Fusion from HDR and neutral picture, finaly in RT with the Haldclut.
Luminance HDR 2.4.0 tonemapping parameters:
Operator: Mantiuk06
Parameters:
Contrast Mapping factor: 0.9
Saturation Factor: 1.5
Detail Factor: 20
PreGamma: 0.75
Regards,
Marc

5 Likes

First off thank you @McCap for the raw and the sharing experience =) and all people participating and contributing :electric_plug: their versions

This image was so interesting and it has taken me so many “approaches” to come to peace with what I was seeing. At the beggining my first re-action was to make it as beutiful as possible… {buzz} WRONG! Then I went on a light savaging journey {sinking} glub glub :fish: Finally I gave up and I only played around with it in photoflow to test bugs and make arguments for controversial disscusions… I know what a low life, he he. But who knew, when all is lost
In the meantime I had being editing and grading a film, so resumed my love for tinkering with colour, also was a good excuse for cleaning up and organizing my LUT’s cage. So with no expectations, with no objective in mind I played around a little more; enough to come to realize that (for me) this was a postcard, an image of a place I’ll probably never visit but yet somehow made it into my dull existence… like a postcard a friend would send me from an exotic corner of the earth. The resulting couple of images were a mixdown result of all this blabing =)

A more dramatic one, the someone lost a leg on the rice fields and gods just don’t care kind

A strange yet pleasent enough darkish mix (a pastel snapshot of a possible Apocalypse Now {one the greatest films ever made, linked with a great docu, a great book by Munch - blink - and of course London’s The Heart of Darkness} location) of a couple old home-brewed LUTs

4 Likes

Sorry for the late reply, i was really busy lately.

Thanks for all the great varaiations. It is intreresting to see how many people were reminded of some movies :smiley:.
Furthermore it is relaxing to note that a cloudy picture remains a cloudy picture and this is valid for everybody and not just for me :sweat_smile:

Some really nice contributions there that really like!

1 Like

quick attempt in just darktable
the weird halo around the horizon is from darktable masking
if I wanted to make this proper it would be done about like this with 2 outputs from darktable then
use gimp to get a proper horizon mask made to make sure a nice smooth transition exists between the 2 ‘exposures’
exposure bracketing at time of initial exposure would of been nice to capture the sky fully
included the darktable xmp file for reference

IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (4.5 KB)

darktable 2.60
IMG_8936.CR2.xmp (7,8 Ko)

Bit of an attempt to try and get what might have been seen - sky’s probably a bit light and I cloned out the burnt out part before brightening even more. This would probably turn out to be my first attempt on a shot like this.

IMG_8936.CR2.pp3 (10.3 KB)

John

Mk2 from the other one

Fotoxx to save using layers. Mid tone flatten, ramp to darken down the sky and yet another white balance on a cloud.

:rofl: On this one I might decide I’d gone too far but knowing what I was going to do this time start again.

John

Somewhere in between the two would be nice. You might want to work on your masking technique.