[PlayRaw] RAW Challenge: Backlit

What a nice picture, thanks @PkmX!
RawTherapee:

DSC02168.ARW.pp3 (11.7 KB)

1 Like

Why has noone fixed that leaning tower???

1 Like

Woah! It looks like this thread is still getting some attention! :sunglasses:

I took another stab at my photo, this time with a lower contrast moody style done in Rawtherapee:

Saw this thread just now.

DSC02168.jpg.out.pp3 (10.7 KB)

Is this what you mean @Claes ?
RT and GIMP. Used Inpaint[patchbased] G’MIC filter to remove the leaning tower and then some cloning.

1 Like

I still want to know what the hell that tower is!

@shreedhar Hm… no :slight_smile: but it was a good way to fix the problem. I thought the tower needed to be straightened up, i.e. pointing upwards instead of pointing to the left…

You will need to apply keystone correction for that (the photo was shot pointing the camera upwards), but that would probably make the composition rather weird.

Thanks for the lovely dog image, @PkmX, it was fun to work on such a backlit challenge.

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (13.3 KB)

Mainly done in darktable using lens correction, exposure, tonemap, color reconstruction for the blown sun, fill light to get some brightness on the dog and foreground, graduated density filter for the sky, color zones and saturation for the dog’s fur and the sky, a lowpass and highpass filter with blend modes, plus equalizer to bring out detail and edges.
I took it into GIMP to try and Inpaint the tower but I couldn’t get an acceptable result, so I cropped it out. Downscaled and final Unsharp Mask.

backlit.pp3 (10.6 KB)

Rawtherapee and after i added very subtle grain in gimp.

2 Likes

Looks like a [PlayRaw] to me and a beautiful one at that. I took the liberty to add the label to the title and tag.

Cropped to the goodboye:
DSC02168-1
Original:
DSC02168

1 Like

I think I am going to share my edit of this lovely photo :grinning:

darktable: DSC03922.ARW.xmp (6.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thought I would give this a try. Liked the challenge of taming the sun and fur. Suits my appetite for developing new techniques and trying new features from our lovely [px] devs.

1. PhotoFlow → WB (daylight) → HL mode (blend) → CA correction → Lin Rec.2020 (no clipping) → DR correction → Tone mapping (Reinhard).
2. gmic → fill negatives → darken backlight → brighten (copy) → average → darken sky.
3. pnmclahe → increase local contrast.
4. gmic → decrease global contrast.
5. GIMP → G’MIC inpaint filter (multi-scale) → smudge → healing.
6. gmic → resize → crop → sharpen (edge).

Enjoy!

1 Like

Hello, here’s my try only with darktable

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (6,1 KB)

:thinking: Does my submission above appear washed out to you? It does in my image viewer but not in my browser… Here is v2, which I saved as a PNG instead of a JPG. It also has much more sky.

v2

My try with RawTherapee 5.4-412-gb626b4e98 (aka Pimp my dog) :

DSC02168-Hombre.pp3 (11,4 Ko)

1 Like

So many different versions!

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (14.3 KB)

This play raw is a very good image for testing the new “dynamic range correction” module in PhF. Here is what I could obtain with a combination of dynamic compression and filmic tone-mapping, plus some final local tweaks.

By the way, I have modified the “filmic new” tone mapping method such that is preserves the brightness of mid-tones. Previously one was obliged to re-adjust the exposure after any change to the parameters…

To open the attached .pfi you will need a PhF version from today:

DSC02168-phf2.pfi (49.0 KB)

2 Likes

DR correction was fun to use. Might give this PlayRaw another try to see the fruit of your code improvements.

The recent activity made me want to try again. The picture is very good and also quite challenging I think. If I look at my old attempt now, it really hurts my eyes, it’s waay overdone and totally fake. So, this time I tried to get it as natural as possible, and this is the best I could do :slight_smile:

DSC02168.ARW.pp3 (12.6 KB)

6 Likes