[PlayRaw] RAW Challenge: Backlit

Interesting photo. And interesting to see the many different versions.
So I did try.
I don’t much use sharpening tools in RT. I mean just simple things like adjust exposure value, shadow/highlight value and white balance. And this time strong light from sky so I did use Graduated filter though.
And then lens corrections in RT. Lastly, use film simulation–Fuji Superia 1600.

08-sh18hi55-grafilter-lenscorr-samyang12mmf2-fsuperia1600-2

1 Like

darktable 2.7 with tone equalizer, filmic, colour balance, equalizer, local contrast and highlights reconstruction.

6 Likes

DSC02168.pfi (34.3 KB)

Its great to see how the processing tools in the various software are progressing.

This is with Photoflow.
Shadows/highlights + colour correction x 2 + curves + colourspace conversion.

I had to add the second colour correction layer to desaturate the extreme light tones otherwise the transition from sky to overexposed sun looked very bad.

1 Like

Once again - my try. It’s the same story with me as with @agriggio. When I’m looking at my last attempt it’s really bad :stuck_out_tongue: Hopefully, this one is a bit better.

DSC02168-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.1 KB)

New try after two years.
DT modules: levels, local contrast, highlight reconstruction, color zones, lowpass, higpass, equalizer

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (9.0 KB)

Time to enter my first Play RAW game. I’m gonna place my bet that it’s because the Dog and not the complicated back light the main reason why this thread keeps hitting my email :slight_smile:

I did all my edit with darktable to not over-complicate things.

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (15.6 KB)

Dog is what got me to this point. So I added a mask to add some sharpening, color correction and lights/shadows edits to the dog. If the Doggo remains on the same tonal range as the highlights/grass, then the magic of him will get lost.

DSC02168.ARW.xmp (12.5 KB) DSC03838_01.ARW.xmp (11.1 KB)

1 Like

Here is a trial with darktable 2.7 + Aurélien’s toneequalizer pull request.
My aim was to get warm tones on the dog and the field, and try to get nice contrast.
I used toneequalizer to handle the wide dynamic range, and then I used colorbalance to saturate more the colors, and to color grade a little the sky and shadows with blue, and middle tones with yellow, and I used 3 instances of local contrast: one for the shadows, one for the mid-tones, and one for the highlights.

1 Like

My second attempt with darktable 2.6.2

1 Like

A second attempt with some sunset mood

DSC02168-6.jpg.out.pp3 (12.5 KB)