[PlayRaw] Roman Bridge, Glen Lyon

I took a drive out to the Roman Bridge, Glen Lyon, yesterday. Kind of a dull light, so probably not the best of light for photography. It was a good practice with my new LEE filter system though!

Kinda lacking inspiration on how to process this image, so interesting to see people’s takes on it.
IMG_4999.CR2 (28.1 MB)

My take,
IMG_4999-web

along with the darktable xmp fileIMG_4999.CR2.xmp (3.8 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike
(Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike1)

9 Likes

Wow! this is a very nice photo. I think dodging&burning is a powerful technique to deal with the dull lighting.

darktable (2.6.2): IMG_4999.CR2.xmp (9.3 KB)

5 Likes

Here is something that looks like one of the rivers in Shire. If you see closely, you might see Frodo lurking behind a rock!
RT5.6RC1 - IMG_4999.jpg.out.pp3 (12.0 KB)

2 Likes

Photoflow:

IMG_4999_bridge.pfi (48.0 KB)

4 Likes

Nice edit!
Dodge / Burn is one tool which I find would be useful in Darktable. Interesting seeing how you achieved that using tone curves & masks. I wonder if an actual dodge / burn tool will be a future addition to Darktable?

Actually I don’t think a dedicated dodge/burn tool could be more helpful than the tone curve in combination with drawn/parametric masks. I even prefer curves + layer masks in GIMP and Krita over the actual dodge/burn tool because of having finer, non-destructive control.

Very nice shot and composition!

IMG_4999.CR2.xmp (9.1 KB)

7 Likes

@Brian_Innes Beautiful setting!

@shreedhar I don’t think Hobbits lurk unless he is Sméagol.

2 Likes

Thanks @afre, the location is the cover pic of Ordnance Survey 1:50,000 map of Loch Tay & Glen Dochart, so quite a well known location, although call it the “Packhorse Bridge”. Might be worth a visit again in the autumn, with golden trees on the leaves, and hopefully more water in the falls.

@msd, looks like I’ll need to experiment with the tone curves & masks in darktable, rather than say exporting to gimp, doing dodging & burning there, and then reimporting back into darktable. As you say more control that way, plus it’s non destructive.

Certainly lots for me to have a play with when I have another go at editing the image :slight_smile: Might end up using the final version for a submission to my local photographic associations monthly competitions.

1 Like

IMG_4999.CR2.xmp (21.2 KB)

3 Likes

IMG_4999.CR2.xmp (5,0 KB)

IMG_4999_01.CR2.xmp (10,3 KB)

1 Like

Beautiful, thanks!

IMG_4999.CR2.xmp (25.3 KB) (Darktable 2.7.0~git1007.2c02989e8)

1 Like

Ouh, the initial pix was already quite good. I like your contrasty colors a lot though. However, I believe that images goes very well with 6x7 type crop.

But that’s just my opinion.

2 Likes

Very nice picture @Brian_Innes !

It reminds me very much of Adam Gibbs photography:

I like his approach with soft light and have tried to bring this atmosphere to your photo:

I have used darktable and GIMP with G’MIC.

darktable file:
IMG_4999.CR2.xmp (10,7 KB)

In the G’MIC I used specific saturisation filter to increase colour contrast.
In the GIMP itself I mainly used dodge and burn to accentuate some picture elements. At the end I added a subtle Orton effect to give the whole scene a soft look.

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for sharing! Here’s my version:

4 Likes

@msd, I mean that I tend to export from darktable to gimp, then do dodging and burning in there, then reimport back into darktable. So I think I’ll try and get familiar with the tone curves in Darktable using masks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Itried to give the bridge a little bit more focus. Thanks for the image!

IMG_4999.CR2.xmp (11.3 KB)

2 Likes

IMG_4999.CR2.xmp (5.8 KB)
IMG_4999_01.CR2.xmp (6.6 KB)

1 Like

@sls141, I’ve had a look at your darktable xmp file, interesting use of the soften filter with parametric mask to smooth the water a little more :slight_smile: Lovely images.

IMG_4999.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

3 Likes