[PlayRaw] Romantic puppy

Hello,

Please feel free to express your ideas on the subject: Romantic puppy.
It is not a very good shot but I thought it has a potential.

RAW file:
IMGP0385.dng (16.3 MB)

I had many ideas like removing the leash, etc. but at the end I could not come up with anything other than boosting the sun light a little bit.

Here is my JPEG:

XMP (darktable):
IMGP0385.dng.xmp (2.5 KB)

If you decided to play with that raw please use open source tools only.

1 Like

Yep, no way I’m going to skip the chance to edit a puppy.

I applied my preset in RawTherapee, which sets some basic stuffs like auto levels, noise reduction, edge sharpening and local contrast with wavelets, applying film emulation and setting the color profile to Rec.2020. I further increased the contrast of the residue image to make the photo look much more dramatic, and then toned the highlight part (snow) with a blue-ish tint.

I’d also try removing that leash in GIMP, as well as cloning out some dirt on the furs, but that will take a while. :slight_smile:

The result looks interesting. I especially like the details in the pavement. :slight_smile: Thank you for contributing to the topic!

Thank you @Andrius for sharing the pomeranian raw, wish I had half the elegance :dromedary_camel: Thanks also to everybody contributing their versions. I was already going for a kinda sorta doggy high key portrait… but there’s something rotten inside of me

Photoflow - IMGP0385.pfi.zip (2.7 KB)

Done with darktable

IMGP0385.dng.xmp (8.0 KB)

Darktable IMGP0385.dng.xmp (3.6 KB)

then GIMP
[GMIC>Details>Freaky Details (default values)],
[Colours>Map>Gradient Map(Photo Z Schlidt Browns 01)]
Photo-Z-Schlidt-Browns-01.ggr.zip (4.9 KB)

@Andrius would you mind explicitly stating a license for us on the image? Maybe cc-by(sa?)?

Not sure I understand what cc-by(sa) is. Anyways, you can can use the image in any way you want.

@bugs_rep I really like your picture. I will try to either blur the background or make the background black and white.

Unleashed your pet :grin:

3 Likes

Rawtherapee (TMAX 400) and McGimp / GMIC

1 Like

My version. Done with darktabe and GIMP 2.9. Nothing special, just enhanced warm colors from puppy and made background a bit colder.

2 Likes

@shreedhar
Great job! Your picture is my favourite so far.

1 Like

@HIRAM
Thank you! Looks great!

@s7habo,
The result looks very good to me! I will keep your method in mind for future works. Thanks for contributing!

I like that split color temp technique. Used it before with the reverse idea, cooler for skin and warmer on b/g.

A very simple one with LightZone. (It is a sunny day here.)

Custom;puppy.lzt.zip (1.3 KB)

1 Like

I’ve tried to do a vivid picture with natural colors.
rawtherapee and gimp
puppy.pp3 (10.0 KB)

PhotoFlow, G’MIC Polaroid Film Emulation & Octave Sharpen.