[PlayRaw] Speed processing challenge - Dreamy landscape

This is first of my ideas for “speed processing challenge”.

Here’s the gist: I was under time constraint to process this image and I had trouble getting them to what I wanted them to look like. It took me AGES and i still couldn’t get the results I wanted.

Now for challenge: start timer and start processing to get something you like. Least time spent with best quality output wins.

IMG_6453.CR2 (29.9 MB) IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (7.5 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

7 Likes

2 min 17 s


IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (5.9 KB)

5 Likes

A 3:14 edit, darktable 3.0.1:


dreamy.landscape.cr2.xmp (10.8 KB)

1 Like

This was really a difficult case but nice motive! Time: 15 Min

IMG_6453_01.CR2.xmp (14,1 KB)

9 Likes

17 min

IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (8.7 KB)

I didn’t time it, but was certainly over an hour.

IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (6.9 KB) IMG_6453_01.CR2.xmp (7.3 KB)

3 Likes

Quick@dirty, 4:50, starting from neutral
Had to add defringe to my first try, what needed an extra minute.

IMG_6453_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.4 KB)

5 Likes

8:04:90


IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (8.1 KB)

IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (6,8 KB)

6 min with darktable 3.1.0 using filmic RGB and @s7habo local contrast technic IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (9.5 KB)

IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (9.5 KB)

2 Likes

A 3minutes work (edit: including jpeg generation)

a-IMG_6453.jpg.out.arp (11.3 KB)

Thanks for sharing! Here is my attempt: slightly above 1 minute for a basic version that I’m already happy with. Then, 3 more minutes for some (light) colour grading.

Here’s the arp: IMG_6453.CR2.arp (35.5 KB)

3 Likes

My standard fully-automatic raw processing gives an equalized (ie with a flat histogram) sRGB version. This is often ugly, but works fine with this image. Wall time: 2 minutes, with zero time from me.

I like the soft, gentle, placid atmosphere. I want to keep that.

I don’t like the highlighted waterfall at the left side. The simplest cure is to crop 10% from the left, creating a better balance. Wall time: 10 seconds from computer and me.

Sharpness could be added, and saturation could be boosted. In my opinion, both would detract from the image.

EDIT: I should add that the image could also be de-hazed. But I like the haze. It adds depth and mood.

Took 2.5 hours because I and my computer are slow, and I was busy cooking, eating and browsing discuss. Too crunchy where the light meets the leaves – oh well. PF+G’MIC. Like @snibgo’s, mostly automated, except exceedingly slow because each time I change a parameter it takes forever to run.

1 Like

Struggled with this as well. Time-boxed myself to 10 minutes. Here is the Result:

Lot’s of corner cutting, here. Rather than actually balancing the exposure I just compressed the hell out of it. Had some trouble with noise in the shadows, just clipped it off. And then there is the colors, not quite sure but I struggled with getting anything realistic. Almost felt a bit like mixed artificial lighting. Still if I’d do this for a living I’d probably be starving by now. :slight_smile:

Did this on my Surface 3, which handicapped my time. Also, found that rawproc wasn’t using the black subtract correctly, so I had to accommodate that. About 8min:

Rather non-conventional filmic parameters to lift the shadows instead of crisping them, and an aggressive saturation.

Now, need to find a better way to handle black subtraction. This is one of the reasons I do PlayRaw; I’m a Nikon shoppe, so seeing other cameras’ raws is beneficial…

1 Like

My attempt. Didn’t check the exact time, but should be around 10 mins. I actually did one version in about 3 mins, then went and played with some other raw files. Then came back and edited this some more. I’ve tried adding some haze around the borders.

IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (17.0 KB)

1 Like

It took me 9 minutes, export included.
Processed with ART.


IMG_6453.jpg.out.arp (11,1 KB)

7 Likes

7 minutes with Photoflow

IMG_6453.pfi (45.0 KB)

slower version

IMG_6453.pfi (43.4 KB)

2 Likes

And here my “slow” version.


IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (11.8 KB)

1 Like