[PlayRaw] Speed processing challenge - Dreamy landscape

Took 2.5 hours because I and my computer are slow, and I was busy cooking, eating and browsing discuss. Too crunchy where the light meets the leaves – oh well. PF+G’MIC. Like @snibgo’s, mostly automated, except exceedingly slow because each time I change a parameter it takes forever to run.

1 Like

Struggled with this as well. Time-boxed myself to 10 minutes. Here is the Result:

Lot’s of corner cutting, here. Rather than actually balancing the exposure I just compressed the hell out of it. Had some trouble with noise in the shadows, just clipped it off. And then there is the colors, not quite sure but I struggled with getting anything realistic. Almost felt a bit like mixed artificial lighting. Still if I’d do this for a living I’d probably be starving by now. :slight_smile:

Did this on my Surface 3, which handicapped my time. Also, found that rawproc wasn’t using the black subtract correctly, so I had to accommodate that. About 8min:

Rather non-conventional filmic parameters to lift the shadows instead of crisping them, and an aggressive saturation.

Now, need to find a better way to handle black subtraction. This is one of the reasons I do PlayRaw; I’m a Nikon shoppe, so seeing other cameras’ raws is beneficial…

1 Like

My attempt. Didn’t check the exact time, but should be around 10 mins. I actually did one version in about 3 mins, then went and played with some other raw files. Then came back and edited this some more. I’ve tried adding some haze around the borders.

IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (17.0 KB)

1 Like

It took me 9 minutes, export included.
Processed with ART.

IMG_6453.jpg.out.arp (11,1 KB)

7 Likes

7 minutes with Photoflow

IMG_6453.pfi (45.0 KB)

slower version

IMG_6453.pfi (43.4 KB)

2 Likes

And here my “slow” version.

IMG_6453
IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (11.8 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this nice landscape !

IMG_6453.cr2.xmp (15.4 KB)
I also had difficulties with the picture, that one took me about 10 minutes. It seemt to me that darktable recognized it as jpg instead of raw ?!

Second take. This time with RT instead of PF and with CLAHE instead of my custom commands on the illuminance component. Finally with a bump in chroma to compensate for the greying of CLAHE. 10 min this time, which includes opening RT to saving the final image.

4 Likes

Although the speed-edit challenge was fun, this one is worth giving it some time and effort. So here’s my second, take-it-slow, edit:

dreamy.landscape_01.cr2.xmp (9.3 KB) dt 3.0.1

BTW: Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Here’s mine, Rawtherapee, about 3 minutes.

IMG_6453.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)

And because I’m trying to learn darktable and use it more, just on 5 minutes.

IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (9.7 KB)

black and white: 13 mn + additionnal contrast on jpg in GIMP

a-IMG_6453.jpg.out.arp (11.4 KB)

Gorgeous automn interpretation : 17mn

a-IMG_6453-1.jpg.out.arp (11.4 KB)

3 Likes

where is this landscape?

I wouldn’t be able to find it again :wink: The vilage is called “Marzysz” (en: “you’re dreaming”;)) It’s ~10km from Kielce, near Borków. In general it’s Holly Cross region in Poland.

Use a GPS logger on your phone while you roam!! :smiley:

thanks for the answer

IMG_6453.CR2.xmp (10.2 KB)

I needed about 15 mins.

1 Like

For comparison some Luminar output (is this cheating? Not opensource, but free trial and fun to use. ). boosted shadows, lowered highlights, lots of AI structure and golden hour.

Really an interesting photo to process!
Spent some more minutes on it, now without dehaze and brighter shadows

IMG_6453_RT-3.jpg.out.pp3 (12.5 KB)