[PlayRaw] Tree At Sunrise

I started using RawTherapee and slowly am getting a hang of it. I have to admit, after initial shock, it gets easier. Really fantastic and fast piece of software.

I saw this tree by the ocean at dawn. The sky looked on fire. so pretty. Here is my take on this image

IMG_2907.CR2 (28.3 MB)
IMG_2907-1.jpg.out.pp3 (13.6 KB)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
I wanted to ask any suggestions or thoughts on improving this :slight_smile: ? I dont have development versions of RT so if you can use 5.8, thats would be great. I dont think I would be able to open the dev version processing file.

4 Likes

You can have a look at rawpedia RawPedia
You can download Rawtherapee development builds here Release Automated Builds · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

my interpretation with ART

Bat in the tree?

2 Likes

here’s my take, I just like to crush these heavily backlit shots:

IMG_2907.CR2.xmp (51.2 KB)

2 Likes

An alternative edit:

tree.at.sunrise.pp3 (13.0 KB) RawTherapee 5.8

:musical_note:
Blue, blue, electric blue
That’s the colour of my room
Where I will live
Blue, blue
:musical_note:
Pale blinds drawn all day
Nothing to do, nothing to say
Blue, blue

Thanks for sharing this one!

2 Likes

Tried to keep it “natural”. There remains only one question: “What ist natural?” Thanks for sharing this raw.

IMG_2907.CR2.xmp (10.7 KB)

3 Likes

I only work rarely with RawTherapee, so no details from me about your edit. But you should in general be careful with (local) contrast and sharpening. In some places the sky appears brighter than in other places close by. Best seen in the branches and between the boards of the benches. I would also be a bit more cautious with the noise reduction, the sky looks partly " blotchy". However I like the image.

Edit

I doubt it :wink:.

IMG_2907.jpg.out.pp3 (13,9 KB)

A tighter crop:

IMG_2907.jpg.out.pp3 (14.2 KB)

7 Likes

darktable 3.3-git

2 Likes

Thanks for posting
DT 3.2.1

IMG_2907_01.CR2.xmp (8.9 KB)

3 Likes

Another great tree. As usual, I like to bring out shadow detail.

tree-at-sunrise-IMG_2907.CR2.pp3 (11.5 KB)
RT 5.8

2 Likes

Beautiful image. Here is my interpretation, DT 3.3

IMG_2907.CR2.xmp (15.1 KB)

Thanks for sharing the image. I think my rendition would be better with an old gent in a fedora sitting on the left bench with his profile visible as he looks away from us.

IMG_2907_01.CR2.xmp (47.3 KB) dt 3.3

dt 3.2.1

IMG_8321.cr2.xmp (1.2 KB)

1 Like