[PlayRaw] Tree In Park

Walking around in a park, I came across this tree with interesting branches, leaves. Here is my take in DT 3.2.1

IMG_2464.CR2 (38.8 MB) IMG_2464.CR2.xmp (53.7 KB)

I would appreciate your feedback and any suggestions. The Play Raw section is very helpful for newbie like me for truly realizing the potential of DT. Thank you.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License

6 Likes

My version:

IMG_2464.CR2.xmp (9.5 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for posting, Nice shot.
My try with DT 3.2.1

IMG_2464_01.CR2.xmp (14.2 KB)

Lovely scene, nice place for a stroll. Looks like you were contending with a gentle breeze?

tree-in-park-IMG_2464.CR2.xmp (39.9 KB)
DT 3.2.1

If aesthetics were more important than reality, I would also remove those man made objects in the background, perhaps replacing them with water.

EDIT: Had to change filter on tone eq, as I realised what I had was killing some detail.

2 Likes

dt 3.2.1. I did most of my changes in the tone equalizer.

IMG_2464.CR2.xmp (6.0 KB)

This is the best part of PlayRaw. One shot and so many interpretations. It is so much fun to go back and try to learn how each edit was done.

@Soupy I was imagining the image similar to yours when I took it. The weather turned dark rather quick. I checked before and it was suppose to be sunny but somehow, I got welcomed with thick dark clouds and wind when I reached there. I like to go to a place multiple times (if its nearby) and take different shots of the same thing many times. I am just learning and this kind of helps me figuring out the lighting and weather and how I can figure out good conditions for taking a better shot.

1 Like

tree.in.park.jpg.out.pp3 (26.3 KB) RawTherapee ( 5.8-2546-g08a891136 / development)

Thanks for sharing!

PS: @jdc The new local adjustment section is something else. Really nice. Thanks! (you and the others that developed this one).

5 Likes

Your version viewed 100% is what I love about RT - such great detail. Can’t wait to try local adjustments.

1 Like

Dark clouds can make for great photos! Wind, not so much. I can see what you were going for - no noise and deep focus - but a faster shutter could have negated that motion blur. Still, quite a nice shot.

Do have a look at @Andy_Astbury1’s video’s about this new tool. Great starting point to get a grasp on/insight about this tool.

2 Likes

Here is a variation. An attempt to retain better detail.

tree-in-park-IMG_2464.CR2.xmp (49.0 KB)

2 Likes

I like this toned down (and more detailed) version a lot better :wink:

1 Like

A slightly different approach in RT, use the Lab LH CH and CC equalisers to reduce the blue branch (you’ll not unseen it now) from this

to this

upside graduated filter to tone the path down, and a vignette

IMG_2464-1.jpg.out.pp3 (14.1 KB)

well, you could also use the raw ca correction tool in RT

Left without, right with raw ca correction:

2 Likes

more that one way to skin a cat :slight_smile:

I’m liking RawTherapee more and more, but I haven’t abandoned darktable just yet…

tree.in.park.cr2.xmp (11.8 KB) darktable 3.2.1

Different crop and other attention points.

Here is my take in DT3.2

IMG_2464.CR2.xmp (12.8 KB)

Very nice image, tried to give it a warm autumn look:

IMG_2464.CR2.xmp (13.5 KB, dt 3.3)

DT 3.2.1

IMG_2464.CR2.xmp (9,5 KB)

Here a black & white version with almost IR quality :slight_smile: . Some artifacts, though.

IMG_2464_01.CR2.xmp (8.8 KB)