Please, can we stop the rounded corner epidemic?

Hi,

rounded corners without a window title bar have become an epidemic now. Please can we stop it, can we have an option in Siril’s settings that let me put on my DE’s window decorations?

Thank you.

Hello and welcome.

Although I’m not sure I understand the request, I’d like to tell you that we follow the look and feel of GTK applications. It’s this library that designs the windows, not us. There will be no change to this.

Thanks, lock042.

I attach two screenshots, bot show Siril behind Brave’s settings.

The first shot shows the current state, in which I have turned off Brave’s “Use system title bar and borders” setting. This makes Brave look like Siril, which I would like to change.

The second shot has Brave’s “Use system title bar and borders” turned on. I would like to see the same setting in Siril, so that Siril integrates with my Desktop Environment.

Thanks,

kdato

Hello, that’s something we’re unlikely to change.

• First of all, I don’t see much point in adding an extra bar, which would be empty (without a menu) and would take up a lot of height. We’re rather short of space.
  • It’s not easy to have an app that’s consistent across all platforms, and we don’t have the resources Brave does.

Hi lock 042,

I am not looking for an extra bar (a bar without a menu) that would be empty.

I am only looking for a window title bar + square corners.

Which is kinda funny, because in the screenshots presented Siril uses a much higher window header bar than what the system settings would ask for.

PS: Just installed Siril to check and finally give it a test run. On my desktop (BunsenLabs Linux with OpenBox) everything is perfectly alright.

Yes but by putting much more information / buttons than a standard menubar would receive…

Define “standard”. :joy: :innocent: :sunglasses:

Obligatory reference: xkcd: Standards

Opinion: GTK is definitely not a standard and it even tries to overrule best practice among proven and stable user interface paradigms. Might work for pure gtk-only environments where all apps are keeping up to the latest changes but in practice it just produces a visual mess.

It’s a matter of taste.

Even if I’m not a big fan of GTK choices, I like this bar.

1 Like

The bar as an alternative to a classic menu is fine - and Siril puts it to really good use.

But a lot of apps do not have many items in that bar and then something between 32 and 64 pixels is just wasted screen estate for nothing. (Which is not the topic, so I’ll just zip my mouth shut).

Bottom line: UI is hard.