please don't kill "global tone mapping"

Hi there

sorry, my english is very bad (google translator)

First of all, thank you very much for your great work when it comes to developing darktable.

i have been working with darktable for about 6 years (as an alternative to lightroom) and i am of the opinion that darktable is much better than the “competition” in many areas.

now i see that some modules are considered obsolete and are being replaced due to pipeline problems. (I’ve never had any problems with “global tone mapping” :wink:)

however, for me one of the most important modules for editing lights, shadows and colors is the “global tone mapping” module.
with no other module (not even “toneEQ” or “filmic” or “local contrast” etc.) i can edit lights and shadows and preserve the structures or work out how it is possible with “global tone mapping”.
especially when it comes to local adjustments (masks).
I can also use “global tone mapping” with the “filmic” algorithm and the “soft light” transition to make the images / colors shine very easily.

Filmic and ToneEQ are great modules, but they quickly lose the “structure” in the picture or you cannot work this out. “Local Contrast” does not have the capabilities of global “tone mapping”

or to put it simply: without “global tone mapping” I am missing a very important and special tool in my color box.

please don’t kill this module.

hallo
verzeihung, mein englisch ist sehr schlech (google translator)
erst einmal vielen dank für die großartige arbeit wenn es um die entwicklung von darktable geht.
ich arbeite seit etwa 6 jahren mit darktable (als alternative zu lightroom) und ich bin der meinung,
dass darktable in vielen bereichen sehr viel besser ist als die “konkurenz”. nun sehe ich, dass einige module als veraltet gelten und ersetzt werden, da diese probleme bezüglich der pipeline haben. (ich habe mit “global tonemapping” noch nie irgend welche probleme gehabt :wink: )
jedoch ist für mich eines der wichtigsten module, um lichter, schatten und farben zu bearbeiten, das modul “global tonemapping”. mit keinem anderen modul (auch nicht “toneEQ” oder “filmic” oder “local contrast” etc.) kann ich lichter und schatten bearbeiten und dabei die struckturen erhalten oder herausarbeiten, wie es mit “global tonemapping” möglich ist. besonders wenn es um lokale anpassungen (masken) geht. auch kann ich mit “global tonemapping” mit dem algorithmus “filmic” und der überblendung “weiches licht” die bilder/Farben sehr einfach zum leuchten bringen. Filmic und ToneEQ sind großartige module, aber sie verlieren schnell die “strucktur” im bild bzw. mann kann diesen icht herausarbeiten. “Lokal Contrast” hat nicht die fähigkeiten von global “tonemapping”. oder einfach gesagt: mir fehlt ohne “global tonemapping” ein sehr wichtiges und spezielles werkzeug in meinem farbkasten. bitte tötet nicht dieses modul.

1 Like

You should make a style that turns on the module. That way you can keep it.

thank you,

yes I know that. I can also call it under obsolete modules.
but what about darktable 3.5 or 3.6 etc. if these modules are no longer implemented?

In darktable, old modules are always kept alive, so you can work on images that used them in previous versions.
But would you care to post a few problematic images, maybe as ‘PlayRaw’, so people can try processing them and maybe you can discover new ways to process them (or maybe, if they fail, you can convince the developers not to deprecate the module)?

5 Likes

I had to lookup global tone mapping, doesn’t seem to be very popular by the video makers, but I found this one (in Turkish I believe, subtitles are very accurate, nice channel, may check some more videos)

1 Like

Like others said, I wouldn’t worry about them being removed.

The trend is - rightly so, ahem - towards scene-referred. So module’s that don’t work in scene-referred, get new versions or implementations that work better.

That doesn’t mean they are going to remove all old modules. The worst you might have to realize is that they will not see much development.

Just guessing BTW.

I’ve been as well destabilized when “global tone mapping” have been stripped from the easily accessible modules as I used it for exactly the same purpose (recover texture/details from dark or blown out areas) but if there’s tricks to get it back I’ll use that until I learn how to properly use the new work flow to achieve the same results in these use cases :slight_smile:

Is that the official word of the developers?

It is a general principle within darktable that we try not to break edits that were done in previous versions of the software. As such it is not possible to remove even deprecated modules - they should always be available to the edits that originally used them.

I think the google translator worked fine :slight_smile: . However, DeepL is an excellent alternative you may wand to check out.

I know this is an outrageous question with freeware, but is it possible to “re-design” global tone mapping?

You mean filmic rgb?

thanks for the video. it shows a small excerpt from what is possible with this module.
global tone mapping is also excellent for working out structures in snow, clouds or light brickwork / plaster.

no. i mean global tonemapping :slightly_smiling_face:

The module has been classified as deprecated because there is a replacement (filmic rgb, see darktable 3.6 user manual - global tonemap (deprecated) and darktable 3.6 user manual - filmic rgb). This forum contains serveral discussions about the pros and cons of filmic rgb. You should not expect that any developer will invest time in development of deprecated modules. Deprecation of outdated modules means concentration of limited resources on more essential developments.

I clearly stated that I was guessing

Note that darktable (like other tools which this site is dedicated to) is not simply freeware, but open-source software.

Sorry. Guess I was hoping some developer would pick it up and chime in.

I did.

4 Likes

actually, with “global tone mapping” exactly that is possible (and a lot more) what can be done in lightroom with the controls for lights and shadows.
attached a video for the demonstration.
(I know the picture is not photographically “valuable” ;-))

3 Likes