Polarization/Banding Issue

Hi :slight_smile:

First of all: thank you a lot for this great raw editor the results I can get from such a fast and intuitive workflow are amazing!

Issue
I noticed that a lot of times I see severe banding/posterization in shadow and midtone regions of the image. The position of this banding can easily be changed by the highlight rolloff slider. Not sure why this is happening. It appears in cases of light or of high tonal compression where other editors (darktable or lightroom) would not show any posterization. Not sure if this is a bug, user error or an inherent property of the algorithm.
Maybe you can help me with that :slight_smile:

Example
Highlight rolloff at 0.19

Highlight rolloff at 0.24

Drama is at 76

Could you upload the raw?

Highlight rolloff is not the usual tool for tonal compression, it’s for taming wonky colors in data before you do tonal compression.