Portable Custom WIndows Build of Darktable with Sigmoid, Filmic v6 and new Laplacian HLR

RGB ratio should give you a more filmic look with sigmoid…v5 vs v6 has different approach to saturation if you check the look tab. So often V6 is going to look more saturated unless you use the Luma slider to desaturated and then it would look more like v5 …

It’s a cobbled version so not sure it’s a good base for bug checking…I don’t see those issues so it could be hardware specific???

@priort
I uninstalled the first installation and reinstalled. That fixed diffuse or sharpen, but then I tried local contrast, and it turned the preview black. I see now that if I switch local contrast from local laplacian filter to bilateral grid, it works okay.

@afre
I am also running darktable-3.9.0+844, and there have been no problems.

Edit: I see now that if I open an edit I did in darktable-3.9.0+844 that uses both local contrast and diffuse or sharpen without sharpen activated, it displays correctly. My operating theory is going to be it’s something about my computer interacting with Todd’s build that is causing the problem. It’s not something I can’t live with, and what’s important are the new things that are available in Todd’s build.

See

1 Like

Any chance you have cross pollinated xmp files… opened something from your newer build in the one I posted?? Just wondering if that could be the source of the strange behaviour.as any other version of DT is not aware of the sigmoid module so not sure how it get handled if you go back and forth…it used to refuse to load but I am not sure now…

I created a duplicate of the version 0, which was created by my 3.9 build. So, if there was anything about that method I’d have to check by putting the original image in another folder and start from scratch. I’ll do that and get back.

@priort
Local contrast still causes a blackout. Also, if I lower any of the sliders in sharpen, the preview blacks out. But diffuse or sharpen still works fine. ???

That is what I would do…keep them separate and don’t use versions from a different build

I see it only happens if I use sigmoid. Filmic seems to work okay with everything.

@priort
If I switch sigmoid to rgb ratio, everything works.

I also noticed local contrast causing preview to go black with sigmoid. This build is definitely kept separate from other builds, not using xmp files.

Ah I don’t use that module much any more…I will take a look …

Try activating sharpen when using local contrast and see what happens.

Will do soon, but only on phone and about to go away for few days without laptop…

I compare local contrast and sharpen to diffuse or sharpen options of same to see which I like best.

In the end its code from 3 sources merged so I suppose there can easily be issues…Filmic v6 is now in the master if nothing like this is going on there then its clearly due to the merged bits from the sigmoid code or the HLR code but hey in the end this was just for mucking about with those specific features in my mind and not meant to do any serious edits …

The sun came out after a storm cleared, and the trees at the end of the street had a cool look against the dark blue sky. The white fence to the left of the house at the end of the street was a real problem, but guided laplacians highlight reconstruction and sigmoid took care of it.

I like the treatment of detail. It is on the saturated side compared to real life colours but overall quite pleasant.

1 Like

That’s a useful point to hear about the saturation. Thanks.