Portfolio Website

It is usually in the release announcements, but you can find a lot by searching.

Don’t get me wrong: deprecations are a normal part of software lifecycle, and Hugo was getting better all the time, it’s just that for my personal website and blog it was overkill and keeping up with the ever changing taxonomy and template logic was not worth it. Hugo is probably the best static site generator for a medium or large site.

1 Like

Hi,
I just got a message that this thread is revived again and I thought it would be fair to get back to it and report what I did in the end. I programmed my own website. It’s a really simple grid thing and it took me maybe one week or so. There is not much more than a navbar, some text and then the images. I’m really pleased with the result and i had the time to do it. I had some experience with programming and was interested in doing it. But I wouldn’t recommend it for someone who has no experience and just wants to show some photographs. For these people I would recommend to search for some sites of photographers you like. Then check what they used (spoiler: squarespace ; ) ). Try to find something similar in the theme libraries of the common cms and set it up. Most of my colleagues set up their site and it will change once a year : ). But it always depends what you’r looking for and what knowledge you have.
Have fun and good luck.

4 Likes

If someone’s interested and I can safe you some time I can send it to you and if you like it also the source code. Please pn.

1 Like

do you not just have a link to the live site?

Just some notes about comments, Disquss is adding in their free version ads - nothing wrong with ads IMHO, but they do add quite too much.

Graphcomments seems not maintained. So not suggested.

I tried also Comment-Sidecar - it’s PHP and mySQL based (means easy to import comments from other places). Seems also not maintained, buy works nicely.

Latest I tried is Isso Comments - Took me really a long time to make that work. Now I have a Docker install that works well on a few sites. Comments are in a SQLite3 DB. Once you work that out it’s also not too complicated to import comments from elsewhere.

Everything still with Hugo. For my testing I use a free VPS via the Oracle Free Tier Cloud.

As an alternative to disqus, I’ve been looking into remark42 - it’s easy to setup and seems to have a nice set of features.

I used to use Disqus, but got fed up with their ads and UI clumsiness. After failing to get any of the OSS commenting systems to run on my host, I settled for a payed Hyvor instance. It’s a drop-in replacement for Disqus, with a price tag instead of ads.

Hello, after a long time with Wordpress, never finding the perfect theme, I decided to built my own site from scratch. I was jobless and had plenty of time. I used the bootstrap library, added some php, a bit of javascript and voilà ! I had absolutely no skill in coding, only a strong interest. You can find tons of help on the web.
Additionnaly, a year after I managed to tweak a bash script (I’m on Linux) that automatically creates thumbnails and jpgs from my pictures and also creates and update the relevant php page for my website. Thanks to imagemagick, exiftool and all these wonderful free tools :+1: :pray:
That was fun ! And so much more rewarding and lighter than with wordpress I must say…

2 Likes

I’ve been meaning to setup remark42, which looks like a pretty slick alternative