Portrait with coloured light.

This is just a test frame while I’m setting the light while waiting for the actual artists done their preparation two years ago, but I guess it would be a nice exercise to edit with (gamut compression really helps here, depends on your colour calibration).

Shot with 4 coloured lights (2 strobes + 2 continuous). As a backstory, the whole shot is for a music single artwork. On the actual project, there’s a creative brief with predefined concepts and colour palettes (slightly different colours with the colour gel I’ve used). Here in Play RAW, feel free to edit it as you like (even make it BW).

191113_HMGNC_artwork02999.CR2 (19.0 MB)
191113_HMGNC_artwork02999.CR2.xmp (41.9 KB)
dt 3.7

Note: The lens is listed as Sigma 24-70mm, but the actual lens is Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD.

Have fun!

Creative Commons License
This file is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

5 Likes

Nice one @adrs !

Hehe. :upside_down_face: Not quite but…

191113_HMGNC_artwork02999_06.CR2.xmp (38,5 KB)

darktable 3.7.0~git702.851a4ac2b7-1

7 Likes

191113_HMGNC_artwork02999-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.9 KB)
Uploading: 191113_HMGNC_artwork02999.jpg…

1 Like

Wow, I’d never considered this composition before, now I’m inspired to re-edit this series. Great edit @s7habo, I’m a big fan of chiaroscuro style.

Thanks!

1 Like

:call_me_hand: :call_me_hand: :call_me_hand:

So am I.

The photo also reminds me of:

Veiled ladies / Maiden Marble Sculpture.
Corradini, Monti, Strazza. pic.twitter.com/Xx6CvsFE1I

— Magge Fromgood (@MaggeDelbene) June 6, 2021

And that scultpure reminds me of another photo in this series :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

The concept reminded me of Elizaveta Porodina. Her lighting, textures, and color effects are done in camera with projectors, mirrors, shear fabrics, etc, and her final color palette is always amazing. I’d love to know how she edits to get such rich, non-digital looking color. The look almost like color darkroom prints.

https://porodina.com/

5 Likes

Nice!

191113_HMGNC_artwork02999.CR2.xmp (22.2 KB)

1 Like

Krita 4.4.7

3 Likes

Nice shot to play with, thanks for sharing!
I went for a crop, so concentrate on the faces. Done in Art.

191113_HMGNC_artwork02999.jpg.out.arp (12.0 KB)

1 Like

It’s a nice reference, thanks!. I don’t know exactly how she edits it, but based on my observation (and my experience at using a projector and coloured light), the colour used in the projection/gel, and exposure she decides to use play a big role for the raw image because taming saturated colour is quite hard (at least for me). But, if the colour is already laid out nicely in the raw images, the editing process will be easier to tweak.

PS: I’ve used a handheld light meter in the studio, but still, for a mix of strobe and continous coloured lights, and the motion blur i want to add, it’s really hard deciding the optimal speed, aperture and exposure compensation for overlapping the light.

Actually, as I’ve looked more, I believe a lot of her work is done on film with multiple exposures, so that itself would mostly solve the color gamut issues. She also has some crazy stuff she did during COVID with webcams, and taking photos of her screen.

Ah i see, that explained it. Colour on film is much more forgiving than digital.

Love this photo. Run through my experimental raw converter at WB 4550K:

Update: 3750K and green tint + more exposure

Very nice picture! And certainly fun to play with. Both playing with colours, and in monochromatic (the contrast amoung colours giver a lot of possibilities of mixing…)
A very simple monochromatic approach
dt 3.7.0 beta
191113_HMGNC_artwork02999.CR2.xmp (11.4 KB)

1 Like

My version using darktable.

191113_HMGNC_artwork02999.CR2.xmp (10.6 KB)

1 Like