Possible Show at LGM2016 London?

I’ve been having sporadic discussions with various folks around the Libre Graphics Meeting 2016 London meeting coming up (April 15-18). I’ll detail more thoughts about having a PIXLS.us meeting the day before LGM for us to all meet, go on photowalks, maybe get a model in for some off-camera lighting fun, etc.

This post is about something I had been thinking about back at LGM2014. During the meetings, I couldn’t help but notice that the hallways and adjoining spaces for the meeting were lacking any showing of art/graphics produced by FOSS projects. GIMP developer Jehan Pages has brought up the idea on the LGM mailing list of having a space to display artwork (in his case, it was artwork created with GIMP for its 20th year anniversary coming up in November.

I was talking with @houz and others in the irc channel and I think it would be nice to be able to print and display some of our work as FOSS photographers. I wanted to get the communities input on this and some feedback.

Would anyone be interested in donating some images for us to print and display at LGM?

Would you also be ok with us possibly auctioning the prints? (any thoughts on donating the auction proceeds to one of the foss projects? LGM? GIMP? PIXLS?)

What would be some logistical things you can think we should be aware of when coordinating this with the local organizer in London? Size requirements? Installation requirements? Don’t care? :smile:

I thought it would be a nice way for us to as a community to raise awareness of what we’re doing, provide a nice gallery/exhibition of our works using FOSS, showcase some awesome images, and possibly sell some prints.

So, what do you all think?

1 Like

Maybe we could even make a nice photo book (assuming we get enough photos/artwork)?. I’d be more than happy to donate some of my photos for this.

2 Likes

Now there is a great idea, too! I’ll check into some prices to see what we may be in for. I know that Jehan Pages had done some digging to produce his Libre calendar last year as well.

I agree that the photo book is a really good idea. I’m also ready to donate some pictures, if they will be considered good enough…

My photo are yours, but I doubt that you would use any of them :smile:

mine too! it would be nice if, at least 1h of the meeting, could have something like a hangout (or any related tool) for those who can attend.

1 Like

Absolutely great idea! I was planning on increasing our interactions as we got a little bit closer, and as people begin volunteering to help out. :smile:

Also as we start considering printing and mounting options, and get a better idea of what the local organizers might have available.

I’m currently lightly researching possible printers in the UK, and I’m wondering if anyone might have some suggestions? I’m looking at you, @LightSweep or possibly @rwh?

In particular, we are currently considering something like big prints of our work to hang, and possibly a book option as well (I think it’d be neat).

@Tatica Do you mean a meeting for those who can attend LGM, or just a general meeting/hangout for us in the community in general?

if you put it that way, both options sound good!

1 Like

@patdavid, when I lived in the UK I always used https://www.theprintspace.co.uk/CTypeAndGicleePrints and was very happy with the results. They do both C-type (true photo paper exposed with an RGB laser printer) and Gicleé (inkjet) prints with a big range of different papers (they have a sample pack of prints done on all the different papers that they’ll send you for a minimal fee). They also know how to do colour management properly. You can also order long strips about an inch wide very cheaply so that you can proof the colours and resolution of your prints before you spring for the full-sized print.

1 Like

You’re also welcome to use my images… portfolio is here: https://www.roberthutton.net/portfolio, let me know if you like any of them and I can provide a full-size version for print.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you! I think I’ll poke someone in the UK to be a point person for receiving any samples we order, and have some sent soon from them (they were very nice and answered my inquiry quickly).

Thank you! I’ll get with you about which one soon (and possibly others for the cards we may go with - which will also mean a small bio and info to include with those - I’ll poke everyone when we get a little closer for info).