Predefined settings for fast cr2 editing

Hi,
I have to overwork many cr2-photos from a family-event. But my computer isn’t very fast and it is without own graphic card. So it takes very long and is annoying! It isn’t possible for me to do some changes and wait everytime, till it is calculated. I am not a profi, so I don’t know the best settings before…

So are there some standard profile or presets I can use for fast editing (for example for to dark pictures, to bright and for blurred images).
That would be really a great help!

RawTherapee doesn’t use GPU acceleration anyway, so no loss for not having a dedicated graphic card.

If you zoom out your image RawTherapee will render it faster. When you are happy with one picture you can copy and paste the style on all your pictures.

Hi Peter,
lot’s of thanks! Is there any list or a short tutorial which settings should I change to get the best results?
I think like the settings normal windows image viewer, there is a button with “Foto verbessern”
(improve photo). Can you tell me what are normally the best things to change.

I am more of a darktable user. I usually use RawTherapee just to analyze raw files. I am sure you will get some good answers soon here in this thread.

Andy Astbury, also a user here, has some tutorials https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnIcpm2W3TX_kcxfxeZdfW6R_4FYh-KjS

@sunshineh
Disable the “Capture Sharpening” module and enable it last, when you have all the other modules done, just before exporting.

This module, I remember that according to its creator, has half a million lines of code, so it is one of the heaviest, if not the heaviest.

And then, when you have a processed image, you can copy its profile and paste it in the similar images.
Arturo.

Capture Sharpening has 1179 lines of code, from which some are comments. If you want to use it, enable it at the beginning of your process, because it’s executed only once, except you change demosaicer or raw preprocessing settings. I’m the creator btw…

6 Likes

Yes Ingo, I know you are the creator but I should not say it because of privacy…
Great work, thank you.

Oops! Then I misunderstood. Maybe the half million refers to all Rt.¿? :fearful:

I find it goes faster on slower pc’s by enabling it at the end of the processing…

Edit: Now I remember. The half million lines of code is… Windows 10!!!

@heckflosse
Ok, I’m not getting anything right today… the 0.5 was from Tb of windows code. :scream:

@sunshineh
Back to the main problem, what equipment do you have, and what version of RT are you running?
On an Atom x7 zooming in on a processing can take me about 20 seconds.

And you can start an edition by testing other profiles:

Thanks. When I try different profiles, do I have to reset it everytime or can I click f.e. on “Auto-Mateched Curve - ISO High” > “Auto-Matched Curve - ISO Medium”?
I mean, are the changed undone automatically, when I try the next profile??

To answer your question you must understand this:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Sidecar_Files_-_Processing_Profiles#Partial_Processing_Profiles_and_Fill_Modes

And you also have here an example of use:
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Unclipped

…Errm…according to Microsoft it’s 50 Million!

I always load Capture Sharpening in my Base profile at the outset. But don’t forget to go and adjust/optomize it with the contrast mask viewable, and to balance the settings in Demosaicing if you use a dual demoz algo like RCD+BiLinear.

1 Like

@Andy_Astbury1 Tanks for this hint! I had stopped using capture sharpening, because it always caused strange artefacts beside the edges, even if i tried to balance it carefully.
Now i understand, that the dual demosaic could be the reason. I will investigate more intensive…