Preferences do not respond

I’m using DT 4.6.1 on Mac. I had a problem before that the processing time for everything what I do is around 4 seconds or more. I’ve activated OpenCL support and it became better for a few days but then again it’s as slow as before. Add to this I can’t change almost anything in the preferences except ticking the squares but otherwise nothing responds. Any suggestion is welcome.

I’d guess the first step might be to try the latest version (4.8.1) and see if it’s any better.

Yes, I was thinking about this but I hope there might be a solution for this rather than to use the latest version. If nothing else helps I’ll do this.

There may be, but you’ll have to launch darktable from the command-line and use -d perf -d opencl, then attach the logs here. You have to provide information before we can investigate and maybe help.

I don’t understand the description, what does it mean that

I can’t change almost anything in the preferences except ticking the squares but otherwise nothing responds

Can you post a screenshot or screencast?

Hi, yes, I attach the screenshot. So I can tick the squares/boxes, therefore make changes, but the rest just do not respond. For instance nothing is happening if I click on Cpu/memory/darktable resources and so on. But I neither understand what you mean by " command-line and use -d perf -d opencl , then attach the logs here" . Sorry I’m far not an expert I’m just using DT.

You should be able to run it from the terminal - I don’t use a Mac but there are others here who do.

In the terminal, provide the parameters I mentioned, so we get more information about performance and the use of OpenCL (processing in the GPU).

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/program-invocation/darktable/

Why? 4.8.1 has many improvements and some great new features, so not sure why you don’t want to upgrade. It’s also entirely possible that whatever bug you have hit has been fixed.

If you run darktable from the terminal by entering the following command, it will print a lot of text in the window. Copy that text into a text file and share it here.
darktable -d perf -d opencl

The reason why I first would like to solve the issue is that maybe it will help me to understand the software better and solve an issue later on. But I’m not against to use the latest DT.
I still do not know what does that mean to run DT from the terminal. You mean the Mac’s terminal? I’ve done that and it said:

Last login: Mon Oct 21 11:41:49 on ttys000

padresangre@Padres-MacBook-Pro ~ % -d perf -d opencl

zsh: command not found: -d

Guide me please what should I do and I do it.

You should run the command that I wrote:
darktable -d perf -d opencl
Note that you didn’t have the name of the darktable executable in what you did. -d perf -d opencl are arguments that need to come after the name of the program (darktable).

To automatically write the log to a text file, you can run this command instead:
darktable -d perf -d opencl > ~/darktable-perf-opencl.log
That will write to the given file in your home directory.

Make sure to perform some of the problematic actions in DT and then quit, before you share the file here.

1 Like

I still don’t get it sorry. Probably I don’t do it right as there is some info missing as I don’t think that it’s beyond my comprehension.
S I open terminal and I then type this in. Then what should happen normally? Is this all I should type?

I also typed this: darktable -d perf -d opencl > ~/darktable-perf-opencl.log
but again nothing is happening.
I need an instruction as to what to do first and second and all the rest of the steps as I’m only a user and I’m not into this as deep as others.

I foolishly thought that MacOS would act the same as Linux.

Do as explained in point 7 here:

That will get the right base command into the terminal. Then you just need to add the arguments: -d perf -d opencl or -d perf -d opencl > ~/darktable-perf-opencl.log

Start with -d perf -d opencl and if that works, quit darktable and run it again with -d perf -d opencl > ~/darktable-perf-opencl.log instead.

Did I do the right thing?
Now I see that anything I do in DT it is shown in the terminal and now I understand why you said that I should do what caused the excess working time but since I opened from the terminal everything works fine. Hmm. What I also done is that I deleted most of the photos from Lighttable and it might helped also. If I will experience slow motion again I run this again and get back to DT and do the very adjustment which causes the problem so then it is recorded in Terminal and then I can post it here. Alternatively I can download the latest version. Thanks for your help and I will get back if I’ve a problem.

Last login: Tue Oct 22 09:40:27 on ttys000
padresangre@Padres-MacBook-Pro ~ % /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable -d perf -d opencl
darktable 4.6.1
Copyright (C) 2012-2024 Johannes Hanika and other contributors.

Compile options:
Bit depth → 64 bit
Debug → DISABLED
SSE2 optimizations → ENABLED
OpenMP → ENABLED
OpenCL → ENABLED
Lua → ENABLED - API version 9.2.0
Colord → DISABLED
gPhoto2 → ENABLED
GMIC → DISABLED - Compressed LUTs are NOT supported
GraphicsMagick → DISABLED
ImageMagick → ENABLED
libavif → ENABLED
libheif → ENABLED
libjxl → ENABLED
OpenJPEG → ENABLED
OpenEXR → ENABLED
WebP → ENABLED

See resources | darktable for detailed documentation.
See Sign in to GitHub · GitHub to report bugs.

(process:2762): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 09:41:47.179: g_object_set: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed
0,0995 [dt_get_sysresource_level] switched to 1 as `default’
0,0996 total mem: 16384MB
0,0996 mipmap cache: 2048MB
0,0996 available mem: 8192MB
0,0996 singlebuff: 128MB
0.1019 [opencl_init] opencl library ‘/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenCL.framework/Versions/Current/OpenCL’ found on your system and loaded, preference ‘default path’
0.1019 [opencl_init] found 1 platform
[opencl_init] found 2 devices

[dt_opencl_device_init]
DEVICE: 0: ‘Intel(R) Core™ i7-6567U CPU @ 3.30GHz’
PLATFORM, VENDOR & ID: Apple, Apple, ID=-1
CANONICAL NAME: appleintelrcoretmi76567ucpu330ghz
DRIVER VERSION: 1.1
DEVICE VERSION: OpenCL 1.2
DEVICE_TYPE: CPU, unified mem
GLOBAL MEM SIZE: 16384 MB
MAX MEM ALLOC: 4096 MB
MAX IMAGE SIZE: 8192 x 8192
MAX WORK GROUP SIZE: 1024
MAX WORK ITEM DIMENSIONS: 3
MAX WORK ITEM SIZES: [ 1024 1 1 ]
ASYNC PIXELPIPE: NO
PINNED MEMORY TRANSFER: NO
AVOID ATOMICS: NO
MICRO NAP: 1000
ROUNDUP WIDTH & HEIGHT 16x16
CHECK EVENT HANDLES: 128
TILING ADVANTAGE: 0.000
DEFAULT DEVICE: NO
*** marked as disabled ***

[dt_opencl_device_init]
DEVICE: 1: ‘Intel(R) Iris™ Graphics 550’
PLATFORM, VENDOR & ID: Apple, Apple, ID=16925952
CANONICAL NAME: appleintelriristmgraphics550
DRIVER VERSION: 1.2(Feb 20 2024 15:28:38)
DEVICE VERSION: OpenCL 1.2
DEVICE_TYPE: GPU, unified mem
GLOBAL MEM SIZE: 1536 MB
MAX MEM ALLOC: 384 MB
MAX IMAGE SIZE: 16384 x 16384
MAX WORK GROUP SIZE: 256
MAX WORK ITEM DIMENSIONS: 3
MAX WORK ITEM SIZES: [ 256 256 256 ]
ASYNC PIXELPIPE: NO
PINNED MEMORY TRANSFER: NO
AVOID ATOMICS: NO
MICRO NAP: 250
ROUNDUP WIDTH & HEIGHT 16x16
CHECK EVENT HANDLES: 128
TILING ADVANTAGE: 0.000
DEFAULT DEVICE: NO
KERNEL BUILD DIRECTORY: /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/Resources/share/darktable/kernels
KERNEL DIRECTORY: /Users/padresangre/.cache/darktable/cached_v3_kernels_for_AppleIntelRIrisTMGraphics550_12Feb202024152838
CL COMPILER OPTION: -cl-fast-relaxed-math
CL COMPILER COMMAND: -w -cl-fast-relaxed-math -DUNKNOWN=1 -I/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/Resources/share/darktable/kernels
KERNEL LOADING TIME: 0.0123 sec
[opencl_init] OpenCL successfully initialized. internal numbers and names of available devices:
[opencl_init] 0 ‘Apple Intel(R) Iris™ Graphics 550’
0.1299 [opencl_init] FINALLY: opencl is AVAILABLE and ENABLED.
[opencl_init] opencl_scheduling_profile: ‘default’
[opencl_init] opencl_device_priority: ‘/!0,///!0,*’
[opencl_init] opencl_mandatory_timeout: 400
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] these are your device priorities:
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] image preview export thumbs preview2
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] 0 -1 0 0 -1
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] show if opencl use is mandatory for a given pixelpipe:
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] 0 0 0 0 0
[opencl_synchronization_timeout] synchronization timeout set to 200
UNIFIED MEM SIZE: 1536 MB reserved for ‘appleintelriristmgraphics550’
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] these are your device priorities:
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] 0 -1 0 0 -1
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] show if opencl use is mandatory for a given pixelpipe:
[dt_opencl_update_priorities] 0 0 0 0 0
[opencl_synchronization_timeout] synchronization timeout set to 200

(darktable:2762): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 09:41:47.550: gtk_window_add_accel_group: assertion ‘GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)’ failed