Premium editing

This is concerning real estate photography: I heard there is premium editing. How do you do it in Gimp?
os Linux Mint
Gimp 2.10.12

Premium editing is when you understand the tool and know what you are doing so you can do it efficiently and in a controlled way.

1 Like

Where did you hear this exactly, and do you have any further clarification on what this might mean? Your question is a little vague and hard for us to properly understand what you might mean.

I heard this: https://www.obeo.app/ from the recruiter… I wanted to do it for my real estate pictures .

Seems like marketing gibberish to me.

2 Likes

Probably. Just wanted to know if there was something I needed to learn.

Real estate photos, at least here in the US, use a lot of HDR techniques, so learning that workflow and keeping the results tasteful might be a good idea.

Thanks

Real estate photography has a certain look to it. I am guessing that is what is meant by “premium”. Your photos are not premium. E.g., they aren’t staged, lighted well or framed properly.

@bmike1 could you share the raw file?

PIC02055.ARW (81.6 MB)
PIC02056.ARW (81.8 MB)
PIC02057.ARW (81.8 MB)
The HDR was done by darktable.

how is the framing not right? How should it be framed? As for the lighting I suppose I should have brightened the hdr.

There is nothing to show outside the main window or the window in the door, so there is no need for going the HDR route - the dynamic range of the relevant part of the scene is not high.

Difficult to comment on the composition without being there… perhaps less door and more hallway.

I suppose the scene is just for testing, so I won’t comment on it.

Image needs a slight vertical perspective correction.

RawTherapee 5.6, brightest image:

PIC02057.jpg.out.pp3 (11.8 KB)

Middle image:

Darkest image (notice slightly more noise and a greenish tint):

HDR DNG made using all three bracketed raw photos:

Nothing to gain by going the HDR route in this case.

yes… just for testing. all three of the exposures you used for the final image appear to be the same. if they are all the same image on your end it is weird because they are not all the same. here are the jpg versions:

Sure the jpg versions look different. The point is that in this particular scene you can take any of the 3 raw files and process it in a way that gives you a good/acceptable result. Which saves you the trouble of merging images into an hdr file first.

@bmike1 He is demonstrating that you could get the same result with any of the 3 frames, except for noise and tint differences. Therefore, an HDR rendition isn’t necessary.

@saknopper You beat me to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think I figured it out. What they mean by it is: instead of haphazardly bracketing by +/-1,3,or 5 you are bracketing by what the histogram tells you. Then you send them the files and they turn them into HDR.

1 Like

might not be necessary but that is what they wanted. and I aim to please!

As far as “the HDR was done by darktable” - which approach for that did you use? I’m pretty familiar with DT’s exposure fusion module (warning: In its current state I don’t think it’s able to provide decent results, I’m working on a patchset to fix that, but I need to finish up some prerequisite code cleanups first) - are you using one of the enfuse-based image stacking scripts?

In your underexposed/highlight-exposure image, the lighting outside of the door seems like it has some channel clipping issues that might require highlight reconstruction tweaks. (e.g. the magenta tint which looks highly unnatural)

By “they” do you mean Obeo? Or “they” do you mean a client that’s looking for something similar to Obeo? Obeo’s site seems to be VERY sparse on substance and VERY heavy on marketing material.