Press request: When is the next bigger update

Hello, a print magazine is planning a larger article about ART. We would like to know when ART gets a major update next, so as not to write about an outdated version. Could you tell me something about that, and possibly about the changes planned? (Not details, just a few hints.)

You could reply by PM and all info is treated confidentially. More info from me by PM, if you wish so.

Thanks,

Henrik

Hi,

Version 1.10.1 was released just yesterday… as written elsewhere, it is mostly about bug fixes but it contains some new features related to workflow improvements (mostly about easier keyboard navigation / shortcuts).

The only plan I have for the next release is the switch to Libraw for raw decoding, but I have no idea how long that is going to take – it mostly depends on how much free time I am willing to spend on this, something that I can’t easily predict at the moment.

Thanks for the remark, but there is no need to worry about this (from my side at least).

Best

Alberto, thanks for a clear and fast answer!

Hello Alberto, i just got ART 1.10.1 for Windows and will now start to test it for the magazine article mentioned above. I just wanted to check back if any big changes (including libraw) will come before early January (maybe you can’t say now).

Also a stupid question, but here goes: I know which version to choose from the ART Download page for Windows PCs. But which file of those 10 or so do i click for

• Mac
  • Linux?

I only have Windows and not much other experience besides, so it would be nice if you could tell me the exact file names. I am sure most readers need them too.

I promise i won’t ask similar questions about pixel editing.

Thanks,

Henrik

Hi,

There’s a chance that libraw integration might come before then, indeed. However, it will not produce any user-visible change (with the exception that ART will magically support more raw formats than before, which is the whole point of including libraw…).

Macs are not supported, simply because I have no way of building on a mac. There are links to experimental builds, but I have no idea whether they work nor whether they are up to date…

Regarding Linux, if you are on a recent ubuntu-based distribution (based on 20.04 or later), you can use the binary called ART-1.10.1-linux64.tar.xz available from the download page: it doesn’t need any installation, just unpack it somewhere and run ART. The other links are for alternative solutions if the prebuilt binary doesn’t work, or if you want distribution-specific packages.

Hope this helps.

P.S:

You are welcome to ask questions in the forum, if you find something unclear :slight_smile:

BTW, just as a heads-up in the future - most open source projects, since they are run primarily by volunteers, don’t have fixed schedules. Some will have tentative schedules they would like to keep, but except for ones that have significant corporate funding and developers on full-time payroll - release timing can be unpredictable.

(I’m not involved in ART, but as an example, due to various situations, some indirectly related to various COVID impacts, but RawTherapee’s 5.9 formal release is taking MUCH longer than expected, leaving an unusually high percentage of people living on the bleeding edge with developer builds.)

Some projects in fact have firm “we will not provide ETA” policies - the CyanogenMod Android custom firmware distribution was quite notorious in this regard. (As someone who used to contribute to CM, and later to Omni, the detail is that if we knew what was necessary to provide an accurate ETA on work completion, we’d probably already be done with the work!)

Andy, thanks, i fully understand that fixed schedules mostly aren’t possible. I just ask and see if there is some hint available or not.