Preview of my upcoming denoising filter

Thank you! @paperdigits

@Kantor_Zsolt Mine was originally designed to address one user’s problem so I am not surprised it didn’t work for you. Iain’s filters are definitely more sophisticated and general purpose.

I just inspected the image. Besides being a little soft, I don’t see much of a problem. I do see text on the other side of the page… Could you be more specific? Maybe annotate the problem areas.

…I also see a line crossing “for statement” and some ringing / haloing around the curvy parts of the letters, but they don’t bother me that much. I think that if you were to sharpen the image, these artifacts would be exaggerated and undesirable.

I am writing this as I am exploring, so this post is in bits and pieces. This is what I did.
1 Apply filter as new layer.
2 Colour dropper picks background from original layer.
3 Select by colour white background of top layer.
4 Bucket paste by selection. DONE!

Looks okay to me. The x's may be a problem for this filter but you might be able to tweak the parameters to mitigate the issue. Good luck.

Thanks a lot for your time. The ‘x’ is not a problem for me. My target is to get sharp letters. What you did is quite sharp.
About the text that can be seen from the other side of the page, is not a problem for me. It would be a problem if it would propagate much stringer.
The “for statement” thing is not a problem for me too.
My problem is that if you zoom in to 200%-300%, artifacts around the letters are seen.
Another thing is that the letters (as you wrote) are a little soft.
Sharpening the letters, in general increases the artifacts that are already around the letters.
So maybe a way to sharpen the letters without increasing the artifacts which are already around the letters.

Below is a screenshot with the artifacts around the letters. It is a 300% zoom:

You should try Smooth [Bilateral] and also have a look at Constrained Sharpen

Thanks Iain !

Iain has awesome filters. If you are curious, you can find them here: https://gmic.eu/gui_filters.txt. Search for the string 'iain_. The issue I have with the plugin is that you can’t search for filter by description or author.

Caution: when examining images, 100% will display the most accurate preview. All other zooms will inherently be worse because they involve interpolation and estimation.

Thanks @afre

For @Iain, I’m just curious, do you work as a graphics editor, graphics developer … ?

No. I just enjoy tinkering with image processing

2 Likes

@Iain

In version pre-2.9.1 it is still the beta version of your plugin.
When would be a final version released?

P.S.

I see there is a Iain Noise Reduction 2019 and a Iain Denoise 2019 Beta3 plugin. The 2 plugin parameters are the same, so Noise Reduction 2019 is the stable release of Denoise 2019 Beta3 ?

Yes. That sounds right. Although I can’t remember exactly what is different between them.