Preview of my upcoming denoising filter

I’ve been working on updating my denoising filter and decided to do something a little different and make a video about it.

I have uploaded the filter to my testing folder so it should propagate through the system and be available. It will only work in one of the latest 2.7 pre-releases because it relies on a recent update from @David_Tschumperle

14 Likes

Awesome @Iain!
This shoud really be moved to the Repair/ section, with a warning about the version requirement.
That’s a really nice video you’ve made, if you agree, I’ll make some “noise” ( :wink: ) about it on Twitter and Framasphere.

I might make some changes to it before I move it to the repair section.
I don’t mind you sharing the video if you call it a work in progress.

1 Like

What an excellent filter with an excellent explanation video! :astonished:
When filter comes out, I’m gone for months to clean photos!

I’ll be back when such nice explanation videos for all filters in GMI’C are ready. :grin:

1 Like

I wish you a good retirement in advance! :smile:

1 Like

All, like the universe, is ever expanding. Long live the @s7habo. :rofl:

1 Like

I quite enjoyed making that video so I might make some more videos.

3 Likes

I’d like to see an video comparing the different inpainting filters.

That seems like a really interesting filter!
Could you give details on the algorithms please? The “lookup” parameter makes me think about non local means or bm3d, or something similar?
I also guess you have a scale decomposition, is it with wavelets, or downscaling or something else?
Also what method do you use for detail recovery?
And one last question, what kind of transform is resulting from the shadows and light sliders?
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

Hi @rawfiner, thanks for your question. I figured I would make a video to explain it so you can see what is going on.

5 Likes

Thanks a lot for taking time to explain all these steps with this video! :slight_smile:
That answered my questions very well!

No problem.
Something I was going to mention but forgot was that the detail recovery method fails if the image has a repeating pattern over a lot of the image. It’s good for removing banding though.

Ok, thank you for this information :slight_smile:

I’ve moved my denoise filter to repair and moved the old version into my testing folder.

1 Like

Hello,
I’m new here . . . I just want to check out the denoising plugin, but I can’t find a link from where to download . . . please help.

Thank you

Welcome @Kantor_Zsolt! You need to download gmic, then refresh your filter list.

Thanks! I got it, I download it and it works!
Also I have another question. I need some little help. I worked in past with GIMP I did, and I do photo editing, but only the most basic stuff. Now I have some jpg images with text, actually a book scanned and saved with 75% jpg compression. Around the letters are compression artifacts. What would be the best way to correct the artifacts, and keep the letters, characters sharp? I could send a sample jpg file if you can help me.
I would like to get the best results on both the artifacts correction and character sharpness.

Thank you!

I can’t help you, but there is another thread about cleaning up book scans already on the forum. There is also a filter in gmic called afre_cleantext that might help with the clenaup.

1 Like

In the plugin, it is simply called Clean Text under Repair. Type in the search bar to find it quickly.

Yes, this is the best way to get answers. The forum is a very friendly place. Lots of people will offer their assistance. :slight_smile:

Check the filter date in my screenshot for the latest version. I update my filter regularly. Clean Text works on cats too!

1 Like

Thanks @afre, the problem with Clean Text is that it whitens out my background, and I have a background color on the pages. So far I tried Iain’s denoising plugin which is discussed in this topic, it works great. I managed to get rid of the artifacts, after I used a sharpening plugin (it is called Sharpen [Whiten]), the result is acceptable, but maybe there are other, better methods. I’m using Gimp 2.10.18, with the 2.9.1 pre-release G’MIC.
I attached a sample scanned book file (the original, without corrections).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xVWIqHDUxHlRuHGA93F1-HUviZIOCJLy