Preview of PhotoFlow 0.2.6: what's new in the coming release

The next photoflow version will bring an improved GUI, with rearranged panels and shortcuts to the most commonly used tools. Here is how it looks like at the moment, with some annotations to explain the various UI elements:

Later today I will also post a description of the main changes and improvements since 0.2.5.

Thanks to the really nice RawTherapee theme created by @TooWaBoo, I’ve also started to create a GTK3 version with a quite polished and essential look:

I’m still struggling to get the “scale” widgets (the sliders to adjust numerical values) look nice and similar to the GTK2 version, but the rest is already in a reasonable good shape… what do you think?

5 Likes

Looking better all the time :]

1 Like
  1. I like the shortcuts to common tools.
  2. I like that the tool controls are now next to the layers; the previous design, while balanced-looking, required a lot of long-distance mouse movement across the screen.
  3. The file handling buttons…I can’t understand the icons. I’ve never seen anything like them.
  4. The GTK3 version: what do the layers look like when unchecked? Is there some indication that there’s an empty checkbox there?
  5. It could be a bit clearer (explicit) what the white rectangles are in the layers (the masks, right?

Wow, showing great progress!

Though I think I’d like the option to move panels (layers and tools) around, similar to the way Gimp allows. For me, to have two panels on the left hand side seems awkward. I’d much prefer to have the ability to have one on the left and one on the right.

Love the shortcut idea though, and the GTK3 version. Mint.

@CarVac: the file handling buttons are just temporary ones, until I find something I really like. The LibreICONS project provides some neat ones…
You have a good point about the layer visibility checkbox, it probably requires some tweaking in the theme file. Thanks for catching that!

@fotonut: at some point I will introduce user-defined settings, and the panels layout can certainly be made configurable… this will be definitely the ultimate solution.

Thanks for looking!

In my final theme I take “half”:wink: of an idea from your theme.
It’s coming today.
Thanks

Do you want the full theme file I’m testing for photoflow? I can put it on github if you are interested. And if while looking into it you also come up with a nice solution for the scale widgets, I would be indebted for life… :wink:

1 Like

Oh yes, I do. :heart_eyes:
Thanks

Here it comes: https://github.com/aferrero2707/PhotoFlow/blob/stable/themes/photoflow-dark.css

I have still kept your original copyright notice, I will eventually update it in the next days…

1 Like

Thanks, I’ve downloaded it. :kissing_heart:

…and I kept DrSlony’s. :grinning:

Here is the current changelog since version 0.2.5:

• Added a preliminary version of the PhotoFlow GIMP plug-in

• RAW processing:

• Replaced LibRAW by RawSpeed for as RAW decoding library

• Added temperature/tint WB adjustments in RAW processor

• The camera profile is assigned to the processed image when the working profile is NONE

• Added toolbox panel with shortcuts for the most commonly used tools, and improved GUI layout

• The clipping warnings now get activated whenever at least one channel is close to 1.0 or 0.0

• The “editing flag” (enabled/disabled via the small pencil button) is not necessary anymore and has been removed. The interactive editing of tools via mouse interaction in the preview area is now automatically activated whenever the UI controls of the tool are expanded

• Panning of the image in the preview area is now possible via Ctrl-left-click-n-drag. Toggling between fit-to-screen and 1:1 zoom is still possible via Ctrl-double-click.

• Improved GTK3 compatibility by adding a custom CSS theme (thanks @TooWaBoo)

• Disabled pre-caching of layers to disk at file loading

1 Like

Not sure if you guys know about GtkInspector? It allows you to interactively fiddle with the CSS of the running application and find out what the hierarchy and class/name/id of widgets are.

@houz

Thanks! No, I didn’t know about that, looks pretty useful!

@Carmelo_DrRaw
Your theme helped me a lot. I’ve found the solution for the wrong tooltip shadow. :relaxed:

* {
  padding-top: initial;
  padding-left: initial;
  padding-bottom: initial;
  padding-right: initial;
}

btw. you can use “padding: initial;” This will do the same as the four lines.

You’re all speaking a language I’m pretty familiar with, which makes me wonder if I should grab copies of your apps to lend a hand…

I guess I can read up on how much of the css spec gtk is using as well. :slight_smile:

That’s a really nice offer, Pat! One limitation, at least in the PhotoFlow case, is that the GTK3 version is currently only available on Linux and if compiled from sources.

But I can try to offer a GTK3 windows version in the next days if you want to have a look!

No worries! When I’m back from travel I’ll spool up an Ubuntu or Fedora machine and see what I can find. :wink:

I am proud to announce that PhotoFlow now has a Chromatic Aberration (CA) correction algorithm in the RAW development module!

The code is based on the equivalent tool in RawTherapee, with two main differences:

1. the automatic correction parameters are computed only once at image loading
  2. the code that performs the correction of the Bayer data has been modified to work in parallel on image chunks. This means that the processing can run in multi-threaded mode even without OpenMP support.

The corrected image is directly visible in the preview area when zooming at 1:1.

Both automatic and manual corrections are available. As a future development, I will try to add “profiled” corrections based on LensFun and/or Adobe lens correction profiles, again applied directly to the Bayer data in the pre-demosaicing stage.

To use this new feature, you need to install the development packages under Linux, like that:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dhor/myway
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install photoflow-git

It will probably take a couple of days until the updated package will be available in the PPA.

Below are two screenshot, showing the same image without and with automatic CA correction applied (the RAW file is taken from here).

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Just installed PhotoFlow 0.2.6 on Kubuntu (KDE Desktop) through the Ppa Package.
I have modified some Nef files (from Nikon D810) and jpeg images and everything worked extremely well : No crash whatsoever ! :slightly_smiling:

THANKS a lot indeed for releasing such a great software !

Thanks for trying photoflow and for the positive feedback!

Things will hopefully get even more stable with the official 0.2.6 release, which I’m planning for the end of next week.