Problem installing Rapid Photo downloader in Puppy Linux

Hi everybody !

I’ve just installed the BionicPup32 version of Puppy Linux and I’m trying to install and run Rapid Photo Downloader.
I had two issues :

1st : I first tried to run the install.py file in a terminal with the command
python install.py

I have the followins return :

File “install.py”, line 497
distro: Distro
SyntaxError : invalid syntax

2nd : I installed Rapid Photo Downloader using the Package Manager and it installed correctly.
I can see Rapid Photo Downloader in the Applications menu. When I click on it, nothing happens.
I tried to launch the app by the Terminal, typing the full name of the app, I have the following return :
bash: /usr/bin/rapid-photo-downloader: /usr/bin/python3: bad interpreter: No such file or directory

When I type “python” in the terminal, It says that I have Python 2.7.17

Is there a way to launch the app ?
Maybe I have not the right version of Python installed.

Thanks for helping.

Regards.

Pierre

The program requires Python 3. You need to install that. There are probably several other dependencies too, each with their own dependencies. You can see the software requirements here: https://github.com/damonlynch/rapid-photo-downloader

Hi !

OK. I’ve just checked and according to the package manager, I have python3.6_3.6.9-1 package already installed but when I type python in the Terminal, it’s the 2.7.17 that is used.
Is there a way to use python 3.6 instead of the 2.7.17 version ?
When I type python3 in the Terminal, I have : command not found.

Thanks for helping.

What about the first thing I mentioned in my first message : when I type «python install.py», the Terminal answers :

File “install.py”, line 497
distro: Distro
SyntaxError : invalid syntax

Is it linked to the lack of python version 3 ?

Thanks.

What happens when you type “python3” in the terminal, does it start python3? Another trick is to type python in the terminal, and then hit the TAB key. This usually show the possible completions of what you are typing, this may show you “python3” or “python3.6” or something similar.

These are old versions though, I thought python2.7 was deprecated (or will be soon), and the python 3 branch is already up at 3.8.

Yes.

The install.py script will be of limited use because it does not recognize your Linux distribution, and therefore cannot install all the program dependencies. There are many dependencies. I suspect it might be too difficult for you to get it going on your own. It needs to be properly packaged by the distro.

Hi !
Yes, another issue is that Puppy uses root as the main user and I couldn’t find a way to use it with an account different from root.
I’m looking for another distro which could be compatible with my hardware (Zorin OS, Lubuntu, Bodhi Linux, Ubuntu Mate or Linux Lite) and in which I could install RPD easily.
Thanks.

Hi !

Finally, I installed Lubuntu and it works fine. I managed to install RPD via Synaptic. It’s 0.9.9-1 version. I tried to install the latest version using the install.py script. It worked well until installing Python support for HEIF/HEIC. At the step “Building wheels for : pyheif”, the Terminal says : “started” and then “finished” with the status “error”. The script freezes and nothing happens. How can I solve this issue ?
Nevertheless, I did a test with version 0.9.9-1 and RPD works fine. Does the media (USB drive, hard drive, SSD) have a effect on the speed of the backup. I found that the transfer was quite fast on the SSD and rather slow on a USB2 stick.
Thanks.

To Durian (Peter Berck) :

Your answer helped me. The use of the tabulation after typing python is a good tip. Python 3.6 was installed on the Puppy Linux distro, but I had to type python3.6.
Thanks for helping.

1 Like

I just installed Lubuntu 18.04 in VirtualBox, updated it, and was able to install the latest version of Rapid Photo Downloader without any problems:

My suggestion will be to simply try running the install script again. It might simply be a case of something online being temporarily unavailable. The version of Rapid Photo Downloader that came in Ubuntu 18.04 is by now really quite old.