Problem opening LR exported DNG in RawTherapee

I have a film simulation in RT that makes my image look great, but I want to run the LR noise reduction on the image first. I tried importing the noise-reduced DNG that LR creates into Raw Therapee, but RT just says that there is an error opening the file. I’m not sure if the fact that the thumbnail in the RT gallery being a violet colour is relevant.

I’m not sure if there’s something technical or very basic I am overlooking, but figured that there will be more experienced users on here that might be able to give me pointers.

Thanks.

Welcome! The most recent versions of LR produce a very recent DNG 1.7 spec files after their AI enhancement. AFAIK, no open source tools support DNG 1.7 yet.

Right, gotcha. Thanks for explaining.

I will look and see if I can convert this new version of DNG to something RT-friendly.

Any advice as to what spec of DNG is most friendly to RT?

Anything 1.4 is a safe bet.
Basically, it must not be built up of many sub images.

I don’t know if it works of you re-save that dng but with a lower spec.

Make sure you disable compression just to be safe.

Great. RT now opens the NR-effected DNG.

But I have a new problem, that I briefly mentioned in my first post: the image is completely violet.

LR export

Opens like this in RT…

Is there something straightforward that I missing, as to why this is happening?

Can anyone help witht the issue above, regarding the image turning out completely violet in RT?

I’m not sure because I don’t have LR, but try exporting in TIFF.

Perhaps also similar to this other topic?

Tiffany it is.

Thank you all very much for guiding me through this.

Interesting, DNG 1.7 could be the “killer app” for JXL.

My interest in JXL is MUCH greater now that it’s part of the DNG spec, it would be far more suitable than the legacy 12-bit JPEG compression that is part of lossy CinemaDNG (which I don’t think was even legitimately part of any DNG spec)

2 Likes