Problem seeing thumbnail.

I’ve never seen this problem and I’m not sure where to begin looking to troubleshoot it.

I’m seeing a folder full of .tiff files (scanned negatives), but two of them are checkered over instead of seeing the thumbnail image. I had just edited these two files in GIMP and saved them as a .tiff file from there. Specifically, I had used the “Drop Shadow (legacy)” filter when applying a small watermark. The rest of the visible images are directly from the scanner.

Incidentally, I can re-open the .tiff file in GIMP, but can’t see it when I open it in Raw Therapee.

DigiKam 6.0.0 and GIMP 2.8.10 (Partha build). Thanks for whatever help you can offer.

I’d be something to do with the alpha channel in those tiff files.

1 Like

Interesting. If I merge down all of the layers in GIMP before exporting, would that solve my problem? Any other work arounds I should look at? I didn’t save this as an .xcf, but I do have the original .tif backed up so I can start that over again. Thanks for the feedback.

It is hard to say without seeing the file itself or some metadata. Have you tried looking for a digikam log to see what’s in there?

1 Like

I haven’t looked in any digiKam log, and I probably wouldn’t know what to look for once I do! Also, remember too that Raw Therapee isn’t even recognizing the file in the file browser mode. When I get back to that computer tonight, I’ll muck around in it and see what I can find. Thanks again for the feedback.

Merging layers in GIMP before the export does not fix this problem.

I’m looking at some files, but frankly not sure what I’m looking for.

My only work around at this point is to save as a .jpg. I guess it’s not that big of a deal if it’s just a film scan.

I am wondering if it posts any error in the terminal. What operating system you are on? In Linux you can just type ‘digikam’ in the terminal. In Windows you will have to install DebugView, launch it and then launch digikam

1 Like

Just Win10. I’ll give DebugView a whirl, but in all honesty I’m not much of a programmer, just an end user. Also, since Raw Therapee isn’t seeing the resulting .tif, I have to believe it’s something that’s going on when I export in GIMP. That said, I’ll give it a shot. Thanks for the feedback.