Problem starting 1.21.1 precompiled Linux64 binary on latest Mint

Been using 1.21 since release no problem (I upgrade normally soon after a new release is announced) so tried to upgrade to 1.21.1 this weekend as normal - but it wouldn’t start.
Tried a few things and unpacked the tar into a new directory and still wouldn’t start so I tried from inside a CLI and I get the following error…

./ART: line 22: 43907 Segmentation fault (core dumped) “d/ART.bin" "@”

Extracting the 1.21 tar and running that again I have no problems at all.
I’m running the latest version of Mint Linux and everything is up to date.

Anyone else had this problem crop up at all?

Thanks for the report, I’ll try to take a look

1 Like

Running my own build from fresh sources on Fedora 39 - no problems.

Not tried my own build, but the downloaded precompiled one is what’s giving my trouble…

Just downloaded 1.21.2 - still get the same segfault error.
Might need to try my own compile and see if that works…

Edit -

Did my own compile and it still comes up with a segmentation fault on start.
Is there any more advanced debugging I can enable to see if I can trace what the fault is before I consider rebuilding my laptop to get it working?
I’ve tried the build on my edit PC running the same up to date Mint and it runs fine so I can only assume something on the laptop is causing a problem with it…

Small update - running a GDB trace gives me the following info -

ART-1.21.2-linux64/ART.bin: error while loading shared libraries: liblcms2_fast_float.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[Inferior 1 (process 99808) exited with code 0177]

However I have liblcms installed as part of the Mint distribution and can’t upgrade it past the current one available (won’t let me remove as it’s part of the Mint base). No ideas from here though how to get around this one without flattening the laptop and going again with a clean install…

Thanks for the additional info. Maybe I forgot to include a library in the binary? I will double check…

I just tried the latest mint (cinnamon) on a VM, it seems to work fine:

can you give more details about your environment (what hardware, exact mint version/edition/desktop env, if you have some peripherals attached, etc.)?

Thanks!

Also, did you try deleting your cache folder ($HOME/.cache/ART) and/or removing your settings folder ($HOME/.config/ART) altogether? sometimes that does the trick if there is some corrupted data

I think you found it - I deleted the settings folder and it now starts up fine!

Thank you for helping sort this one out - I’m back to the latest version again!

2 Likes

Just a quick update but I’ve found what seems to make the failure occur.
I use the RawTherapee film simulation CLUTS and if I enable those in the options the failure occurs straight away.
Manually edit the option out and I can load again fine.

I think I need to read up on how to convert those as quite a few of my profiles have used the film simulations so they’re very handy for me to have!

Hi,
The luts should be the same. If there’s a crash, it’s a bug somewhere. I’ll investigate. Did you use some specific lut (and if so can you share it) or simply configuring the folder causes the failure?

Thanks!

I have the RawTherapee film simulation CLUTS in a folder and the fail comes from there.
If I add a fresh, empty folder and configure it in the options the fail doesn’t occur at all.
As soon as I put some of the files in there from the film simulation (just copied the Color folder across) then the failure occurs again.
So as a test I’ve stripped things back and if I have a single subfolder (Color) with some of the CLUTS in there it loads fine but if I nest them another later down (added Agfa and copied the CLUTS into there) the failure comes up.

Hope that helps trace it a little easier!

Hi,
Indeed this is very useful, thanks! I’ll try to reproduce here asap

1 Like