Problem with Gimp 2.10.34 from flatpack and G'mic

Hello,
I’ve installed Gimp 2.10.34 from flatpack on Ubuntu 22.04. I’ve selected in the list of complements to install G’mic. Installs Gimp and it says that also installed G’mic, but the G’mic option in the filters menu doesn’t appears.

Is there any way to fix this?

Thank you.
Ackbar

It is possible to get the wrong gmic version. What do you see with flatpak list ? gmic 2-40 or 2-3.36

Try removing gmic flatpak uninstall gmic and follow the prompts
then re-install flatpak install gmic choosing a version.

This in a Mint VM https://i.imgur.com/lmGK9Xl.jpg

You might want to hold off for a day or so, Gimp 2.10.36 is out.

and bound to be a flatpak update soon.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer.
In the flatpak list appears gmic 2-40.

I’ve tried removing and reinstalling the gmic 2.40 version but the issue persists.

I’ve updated Gimp to the last version (2.10.36), uninstall and reinstall gmic (both versions) and the issue persists.

It’s running in a Ubuntu 20.04.

Any idea to how to solve this?

Thank you in advance.

Hello !
I don’t know if that can help you, but as I am on Linux Mint 21.2, it may ?
I had the same problem : Gimp 2.10.36 installed by Flatpak, with the addons, particularly G’Mic plugin on Branch 2.40, and the G’mic never appeared into the filters menu !
Until I looked into the preferences.
In Folders → Plugins, I pushed the button to reset the plugin folders, it added one missing folder, and the G’Mic line appeared at the next restart of Gimp.
(Even if it’s in french, I hope this screenshot can help you… there is now 3 folders, 2 in /app, 1 in my home)

2 Likes

Ok, I tested by adding the BIMP too ( “flatpak install flathub org.gimp.GIMP.Plugin.BIMP”, branch 2.40 ), then after resetting the script folders in Preferences the same way, restarting the Gimp, BIMP appeared too…
I think that it may come from the gimp config files in our home folder, going from the distribution Gimp to the Flatpak version may have caused these missing folders in the preferences I guess.

Thanks for the info @saberwarthog , it’s good to know!

It works for me, too! Thank you very much, @saberwarthog ! I had been lost the hope to recover G’mic.

No problems, happy that it had helped you @ackbar !
I think that it might be something to note somewhere on the Gimp documentation about the Flatpak installation, as a lot of distributions got a Gimp package of their own that might have different folder prefs ?
I still have some problems with other python plugins, but at least the Gimp addons from Flatpak do works now.

2 Likes