Problems with Darktable and Mac OSX Catalina (solved with dt 2.6.3.1)

I noticed an enormous amount of complaints from people that upgraded to Catalina; Audacity users reported the same issues. Other projects affected too.

Hi, did this but no solution. Each time I restart darktable the systeem creates new lockfiles…

Hi, no NFS but a simple external HD.

Hi Candyman and welcome here. Do you face the same problems as I have : not able to open files in darktable ?
Hope someone comes with a solution. Been working the last few months on a bigger project and edited a bunch of pictures with dt. Without a solution hours of work is lost.

Quick & dirty workaround:

• install VirtualBox
  • install a recent Linux distribution in a virtual machine (DT 2.6.2 is at least available in ARCH/Manjaro and in Ubuntu Bionic/Cosmic/Disco through Pascal’s PPA)
  • run darktable inside the Linux virtual machine.

I have no idea if one still gets decent GPU acceleration in this case, but at least this should keep you going until better days will come…

What file system is on your HDD? Mac Os has no default write support for a lot of them, this may cause problems …

Hi Daniel, thank you for your reply. What do you mean by ‘what file system on the external HDD’. This hasn’t been changed since updating to Catalina AFAIK. Sorry for the dumb question :slight_smile:

Hi, meanwhile I found a solution for my current project. I Installed dt on another Mac that is still on Mojave, copied dt’s library-files to it and exported the edited files from the past months out of dt. Relieved that my work is not lost.

Gives us some time waiting for a solution (read a next Catalina update).

If someone has another solution I’ll (and I presume other Mac-users as well) be glad to hear.
Thanks everyone !

1 Like

I have the same problem with accessing a share on Freenas. It seems to be a problem of permissions. Can somebody tell me if this works for them ?

Go to → System Preferences → Security and Privacy → Privacy → Full Disk Access
Add Darktable to the list of Apps that can access

I am not able to manually add Darktable to the list of Apps in Files and Folders in the same menu. I see that Amazon Prime Photos has access to Network Volumes. So that gets me thinking that perhaps Darktable needs to get an update to enable such a feature requesting for permission to access Files and Folders on Catalina.

Edit:

I have been able to access the network shares by running darktable from the command line. Maybe this is a temporary workaround.

Open Terminal and run darktable from the command line

/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable

2 Likes

genius!!!
it works from terminal!!!
all previous edits are intact.:rofl:

Hi, thank you for the information.
I was able to give darktable Full Disk Access. However this didn’t solve the problem.

BUT : your workaround opening dt from terminal did work for me too and gives me back all my edits. Super !!! Thanks a lot !!!
As a temporary solution, I can live with it.

I hope that there will come a permanent solution. Maybe with a future update for OSX and/or dt.
Meanwhile : keep up the good work.

cheers

I’d suspect that the current DT needs to be rebuilt on a machine running Catalina. There are not a lot of people who build for Mac, so we will likely need to wait a bit.

If you can access fine the HDD from Finder (and I mean here read and write) than you can ignore my comment. Otherwise please check how your HDD is formatted. If you use NTFS, Mac OS does not have official write support, so you can only read files. This might create problems for software that needs also write access.

Thanks , after updating to Catalina, running darktable from command line is working. Looking forward to update on this issue.

The same thing happened to me when updating to Catalina. I love darktable but now I can’t access any folders in my external hard drive. I get the message “Error opening directory”
12%20PM
I’m getting the same issue with Gimp. Dead in the water. (Fingers crossed for a quick solution!)

You are a wizard!! Thank you SO MUCH!! :smile: It works!!

Uh how do I open it through my command line ?

Open a terminal and paste . /Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable

I’ve made 3 scripts that combine this solutions:

1st script executes script 2 + 3
2st script: dopens the DARKTABLE via Terminal
3rd script: closes the Terminal after you’ve closed DARKTABLE

Unzip and copy to Desktop (for example):
Start Darktable.zip (1.1 MB)

Unzip and copy to Programs:
DarktableExec.zip (15.9 MB)

The files are a bit tall because I’ve made applications of it, so that the script editor doesn’t start.

You can also use just this script to run it. Just open the script editor, insert this code and save it as (option) Application. Run!

Darktable via Terminal

tell application "Terminal"
	activate
	do shell script "/Applications/darktable.app/Contents/MacOS/darktable"
	set WindowNum to get window count
	if WindowNum = 1 then
		quit
	else
		tell application "System Events" to keystroke "w" using command down
	end if
end tell

Hi, the latest update dt 2.6.3.1 solved the problem for me (Mac Osx Catlina 10.15.1) without using terminal anymore.

Thank you very much !!!