Problems with Local Adjustment function in RT

The Local Adjustments tool is a great addition to RT (thanks! :+1:), but I’m experiencing a problem with it.

When using a Local Adjustment spot with the Dynamic Range & Exposure tool, the Exposure Tools section appears to be only part-functional.

The sliders for Black, Highlight compression, Highlight compression threshold, and Chroma compensation are having no effect whatsoever on the image.

However, the Shadows and Shadow compression sliders are functioning in the way one would expect. :confused:

Any suggestions? TIA.

(Using v5.9 on a Windows 10 machine)

@porchard these sliders should work well in the combination with using the “Exposure compensation ƒ”

hth
Martin

1 Like

Many thanks, Martin (@marter). That makes everything work as should. :+1:

It seems that the Exposure compensation f value has to be set to ANY value other than zero, in order to make these sliders work. Even the smallest non-zero value does it. I tested it using 0.01 and -0.01, and both values bring the sliders into play.

Thanks again for your help. :smiley:

1 Like

Hello

I just create a PR to solve this GUI problem

https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/pull/6892

jacques

3 Likes

Thanks @jdc. Would you mind giving a quick “idiot’s guide” on how to use this? :thinking:

TIA.

@porchard

Excuse my bad english… I am a (very) old french man.

There are no stupid questions, but it is difficult to make an “idiot’s guide” because the majority of problems are due to the incompleteness of the software design.

I think of course part of the answer on whether RT is used meaningfully is design and user understanding. This use is either “intuitive” or it finds its solution in the documentation (here Rawpedia), but even more in the exchanges between users on the forums.

I don’t know why RT’s ratings have been declining for several months, other than it’s a bit of a chicken and egg situation.
If I make a comparison between the various posts on RT and DT, the number is clearly in favor of DT, while I am sure that the differences in results are minimal. I would even dare to say that functionalities are very developed in RT and much less in DT.

To answer the question more explicitly, there is at least one section in rawpedia which allows you to have a fairly global point of view
https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Local_Adjustments#Five_ways_to_change_the_exposure_and_lift_the_shadows

To reinforce Rawpedia, for me, as a designer, the worst tool is “exposure”, but everyone evaluates a product according to their habits and the problems to be solved. An opinion posted on a forum is often enough to change points of view.

Jacques

5 Likes

@jdc Merci pour votre réponse. Votre anglais est bon… bien meilleur que mon Français ! :smile:

1 Like

I just want to put my two cents in to praise Jacques’ work on Local Adjustment. While there are a few rough (or maybe just not documented enough for us non-color scientists) spots in it, the power of the local adjustments tool is mind-blowing. I was seriously playing around with it on a problematical scan of a harshly lit garden flower taken on film in 1971 and I was amazed at what I was able to do with the photo using local adjustments. A mediocre photo remains a mediocre photo but it was a much better mediocre photo than what I could have done with it in RT 5.8 or Lightroom. Thank you Jacques!

8 Likes

+1. :+1:

Thank you for these complimentary comments. I really appreciate.

Jacques

2 Likes