Processing help needed for haze removal

Hi All,

I am trying to remove haze from this image. The haze removal tool is not helping much. Can anyone guide me to get a less washed out image out of this?

Best I could come up with is this :
_SKC1375.NEF.pp3 (13.4 KB)

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

My editing with RT 5.8-dev:
20220706_SKC1375_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (14,9 KB)

(Image deleted: Missing licenses)

Notes:

• White balance: automatic RGB grey
  • Noise reduction: Curve for only light areas (the sky).
  • Poor man dehaze: Has given these results:
    red : 7
    green : 30
    blue : 23
  • Exposure with automatic levels.
  • And all other modules activated.

Greetings.

1 Like

Couldn’t open the NEF with RawTherapee. So copied the photo and did what I could in gimp. Got most of the haze out with GMIC’s dehaze. Added more contrast, a little yellow and denoised. Messed the sky up though :frowning:

2 Likes

My attempt in GIMP to give the impression of sharpness. Masked off the foreground to prevent change there. Added a desaturated layer in overlay mode to increase contrast and a lot of sharpening using wavelet decompose.

Darktable offers a couple of haze removal options. There is the suitably named ‘haze removal’ module and there is a preset called ‘dehaze’ in the new ‘diffuse or sharpen module’. Here is an attempt at haze removal using both methods combined for extra effect.

RawTherapee latest dev with touch up in GIMP.
Definitely starting with a lower brightness and some medium depth haze removal- enough to clarify the foreground, but leaving enough to help enhance depth perception.

_SKC1375.NEF.pp3 (11.9 KB)

2 Likes

thanks for posting
darktable 4.0

_SKC1375.NEF.xmp (19.6 KB)

_SKC1375.NEF.pp3 (16.2 KB)

2 Likes

LightZone+GIMP

You can

_SKC1375.NEF.xmp (11.6 KB)

ART

The haze tool in ART is nice…not sure I have mastered the curve 100 Percent but that and the bump from the black point slider can really bring an image to life

Edit: