Processing profiles to match Sony A99/A7S camera creative styles

Hi all, I recently switched from Lightroom to Rawtherapee. I shoot with a Sony A99V and a Sony A7S - I get very nice results in RT using raw files from both those cameras, but one thing I’d like to do is be able to assign a processing profile when I open the raw files that is equivalent to the in-camera creative style that I have used, if any. Lightroom doesn’t do well in that regard, and I’m hoping there might be some way of extracting the adjustments made in-camera by the creative styles, so that I can replicate those as Processing Profiles to use as a start point for raw edits in RT.

Has anyone managed to create RT PP’s that are equivalent to Sony in-camera creative styles? And if yes, what process did you undertake to do so?

TIA, Chris W, New Zealand

Think you need to create your own.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Creating_processing_profiles_for_general_use

Hi @Chrisblobster and welcome!

See this brand new thread:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Interesting and tried that but options are creating either an eight column 512 x 512 png or a sixteen column 4096 x 4096 png neither of which showed up in RT where all Hald CLUT png files are twelve column 1728 x 1728. What am I missing :worried:

Hi Peter,

What am I missing?

Luck??? :innocent:

I am busy at the moment, but hopefully I will have time to play later today, so I can see how it behaves “with my own fingers”.

1 Like

Update - works now, I needed to create a read-only folder for my png.

Hi there, after reading about HaldCLUT creation I wish to give that a go. There are 13 Creative Styles in the A99 camera (Standard, Vivid, Natural, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night, Autumn, B&W, Sepia). I’m guessing I should begin by setting up a scene, and shooting a raw image of the scene, then a jpeg of the scene using each style. I guess the next step is to open the raw file in RT, ensure all possible processing is turned off, and save a jpeg of the image to give me a base image - then create HaldCLUT’s using that base image comparing the differences to all 13 jpegs taken with each creative style, using the G’MIC HaldCLUT tool in Gimp 2.10.

Based on what I’ve read, this should work, although I’m a bit confused about the 512x512 vs 4096x4096 HaldCLUT option in G’MIC as the ones in the Film Simulation for RT are 1728x1728 12 column - I would lean towards the 4096x4096 as presumably a 16 column CLUT will give more accurate results?

I’ll give it a go, and see what happens. If anyone has advice over my proposed methods please let me know :slightly_smiling_face:

Chris.

@Chrisblobster see this:

2 Likes

@Morgan_Hardwood - great guide! Maybe add a reminder that the HaldCLUT folder needs to be read-only.

@mannikon I don’t think the folder “needs to be” read-only, on both my Linux and Windows 10 machines, HaldCLUT folders are set to read/write, and I have no problem adding new CLUTs.

1 Like

That is something we have to investigate. Currently I don’t see why it has to be read-only. Which OS are you on?

1 Like

@heckflosse @sguyader - odd, that was the only way I could get my new clut to work. Windows 7 64bit.

Same here… hmmm…

Perhaps first time round I was logged in as a user and now logged in as admin. All my folders are read only and not sure if that’s normal.

Update - RT installed with administrator privileges so all folders there are protected. I had used an image organiser to place files in HaldCLUT which could only be seen by the organiser and not the file system or RT. Found some discussion on github about this. A Windows protection issue as opposed to an RT installer issue. Now I know.

1 Like

Morning. Peter & @heckflosse

I have a faint memory telling that read-only folders
were not too unusual in Win 7. Could happen because
of many things; some of them discussed here:
https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/25436-folders-stuck-read-only-mode.html

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

@Claes - yes, in Win 7 & Win 10, lots of chatter about this but I’ll leave it alone because I think it’s part of the systems protections. Live and learn :woozy_face:

And you’ve always got some kind of Linux (there are m-a-n-y)
as your saviour, whenever needed.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like