Proposal: one-tab natron

Idea: Make Natron only take up one tab. For me, when i open natron, two tabs open. One of them is a terminal-like application

and the other being the actual application Would it be possible for Natron to use up only one tab? I am using the portable version.

1 Like

The terminal has useful information, especially when troubleshooting issues etc. We only do this on Windows, on macOS and Linux you will need to start Natron from a terminal to get application output.

1 Like

I suppose one could disable the console (via custom build or setting?). There is a slight performance hit if the console output is verbose (you won’t notice it if your machine isn’t super low spec like mine) but I think having debugging info is very handy.

Adding the console as an option in the settings should be doable (with console enabled as default),

1 Like

Good points. And yes, having console as an option would be nice.

Sorry for the delay, finally had the time to look into this.

Console output on Windows now behaves as on Linux/macOS (output to parent as default, if you launch Natron from cmd.exe, qtcreator etc you will get the output from Natron). A separate console window can be enabled in “Preferences”=>“User Interface”=>“Enable console window” (old behavior). Tested on Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 10 Pro (1909).

Please test the following build: Release console1: App: handle console output on Windows · rodlie/Natron · GitHub

If we all agree I will do a pull request.

2 Likes

Sure. I’ll test this out.

Works perfectly! Now natron only takes up one tab. Nice.

3 Likes

yeah this is a good request… It’s not too annoying but sometimes it does happen that while switching windows from the taskbar i accidentally select the console window instead of Natron gui.
Thanks for this!