[pxChallenge] Creatures of Color

I came across a Wikipedia entry on leucism and thought to myself that it would probably be a fun challenge to recolor leucistic animals. In nature, it would be disadvantageous to have this type of pigmentation, so help these animals out by giving them some color. Could be realistic or imaginative. (Good thing that this has nothing to do with people; otherwise, this would be very offensive.)

It is up to you which subject you do. It could be any of the photos on the Wiki entry, or any that you discover or take yourself, as long as its license is compatible for our use. Include a link to or upload the source for us, so that we can give it a try too.

Public domain, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Paon_blanc_Madère_2008.jpg

1 Like

Just for fun…

1 Like

Totally realistic…

BKG - > http://www.publicdomainpictures.net/view-image.php?image=122650&picture=black-and-white-fingerprint-pattern

Now you see me. Download Image :: Geograph Britain and Ireland

geograph-2998220-by-Peter-Trimming-2

Now you don’t.

Camo:
By Phazall (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

CADPAT

@McCap The radiation of color reminds me of the PowerDyesYourHair trope.

@chroma_ghost Next-gen biometrics! In response, all hats begin to crack their knuckles.

@HIRAM That Canadian camo isn’t fooling my Canadian dachshund. It is amazing how flat it looks despite all that fur!

Ahmm, to yellow and greenish. Poor thing!

Way to difficult to do well and I should have scanned the web for a suitable colour really rather than trying to adjust one. So just for a laugh.

I used the gimp to generate a layer mask but it still left the problem of needing to do some very precise and in some places impossible painting. I just used edge detect with a gausian blur. One of the other facilities might be better but there would still be a painting problem to tidy it up.

John

Using luminosity masks offers more but I should have tinted a layer first and used levels on the mask later.

LOL
John

1 Like

Similar resoult like @Ajohn using Color look up table in darktable :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for the contributions so far. I was wondering if anyone would like to attempt a more realistic entry. Edit: if you could please share your process via sidecars, etc. Thanks!

Challenge

Maybe the folks who have contributed to or have an interest in #digital-painting could give our leucistic friends a do over. Not sure if your apps have sidecar files but it would be nice to briefly discuss how you colored the creature of choice. @Elle @Reptorian @briend and others.

PS Maybe the pro-maskers from Color Masks in Gimp could also give this a whirl. @shreedhar and others. A second round @McCap @s7habo?

Must say felt elated when @afre mentioned me by name :grinning: Made me compelled to give it try.

First I tried using Color Mask of GMIC. It is very good but I was not satisfied. Then thought of old fashioned technique of using Threshold filter in the Color tab of GIMP to isolate Peacock. That mask felt better to me. I know some of the feathers on the right side are left out, but did not bother to add them. Then used the Curves to individually change the R,G,B, curves to get the following image. Is the fluorescent blue peacock realistic?

Edit: Forgot to mention the final use of Tone Enhance filter of GMIC to make shadows a bit dark and rest a bit bright with 10% detail added.
Here is one with colorful neck

1 Like

And now for something different :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad that you entertained the challenge.

Depends on the opinions of the peahens :wink:. Nice rendition: it is believable.

@McCap Reminds me of the Lite-Brites. I am curious what the background is and which apps you used.

The background is a street I shot in Kyoto years ago…the rest (apart from the flare) is handpainted in Gimp using the mouse as I don’t have a Wacom or something similar.

I thought you painted it as well. Couldn’t tell because of the brilliant plumage.

Hi @afre

I was just following these two user manuals for using “Color look up table” module in darktable:

https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/ch03s04s03.html.php and
colour manipulation with the colour checker lut module | darktable

I highly recommend to try this module for color manipulations!

The Wikipedia article on peafowl says “The number of eyespots in the train predicted a male’s mating success,” so maybe the poor bird sometimes dreams of having more normal feather colors.

I used default GIMP-2.9. The colors in the original photograph seemed not very useful, so I made a luminance conversion to black and white, sampled colors from photographs of peacocks with normal feathers, and then applied the colors using several masked layers set to LCH Color blend mode. The Hue layers ranged from 100 (yellow-green for the legs and beak) to 230 (green-blue for the body).

To get the feathers in the black and white conversion to have a dark enough tonality to actually blend with the Color layers to produce something like peacock feather colors, I made a copy of the black and white layer and inverted it, and then did a lot of blending to get the tonality to more or less the right place. Adding actual eyespots is way beyond my painting/recoloring capabilities.

4 Likes

@Elle The left thigh is kind of odd looking. I wonder if it is too bright there…

I agree. I couldn’t tell from the photograph what that “thing” was, had no idea whether it was part of the bird or not. But if you say it’s a thigh, I guess it’s a thigh! I was tempted to clone it out altogether, but left it in anyway.

Had a good laugh over this. Don’t know why I called it a thigh. It could still be a part of the body or tail, or a fanny pack :slight_smile: or tumor :cry:. See: