Quasar: tilt-shifted NYC at night

Imgur

I said I wouldn’t do it, but I just had to try it once: a cliché selective focus tilt-shift cityscape. Not exactly miniature-style, though.

The line of streetlights at water level reminds me of the jets emitted by quasars, hence the title.

This was my Hasselblad C 80/2.8 at f/4 (f/2.8 has a lot of bloom), tilted left 8 degrees, and shifted up about 9mm so that the camera was pointing just below level, maybe exaggerating the heights of the buildings a little.

I used the default settings in Filmulator, and tweaked the horizon level in RawTherapee.

7 Likes

I’ve gotten so used to my T3i’s in-camera faux miniature effect, its refreshing to see some actual tilt.

I think the miniature effect relies on psychological cues, such as subjects that are diminutive in the frame, and the ability to compare them to larger things in the frame. Of course it’s not the only use of tilt, but I find it pleasing when it works.

The transition from the center outwards to the pentagons intriguing, thanks for sharing. Since you have the gear, let us see some more tilt-shift!

2 Likes