Question about camera profiles (*.arp)

ART 1.20.2 on Windows 11
I’m using @gaaned92’s AMD Zen2 optimized build, if that makes any difference.

I actually have two questions, but they’re very closely related:

• I just noticed most of my profiles as shown in the dynamic rules list were listed as ${U}whatever, e.g., ${U}Camera default baseline. Note this was only on the dynamic profile rules tab, they’re correct on disk. I was able to fix it by editing each rule and re-choosing the correct profile, which were listed properly in the profile combo list. However, this profile (Google_Pixel_4a_DNG, #1) doesn’t show up in the list although it’s still on disk, unchanged:

2023-07-10 20:20 12,102 Google_Pixel_4a_DNG.arp

Why isn’t it shown in ART? It doesn’t show up here nor on any other profiles list.

Here it is: Google_Pixel_4a_DNG.arp (11.8 KB)

• I have my custom profiles in %localappdata%\ART\profiles but the profiles shown by ART in any of the “My profiles” (#2) and “Bundled profiles” (#3) lists are exactly the same: My profiles only. The installation folders are untouched. Do I have my profiles in the wrong place?

Thanks.

P.S. - As long as I’m asking, one other minor profile-related question. When ART loads a profile dynamically, does the profile name show up like this?

IOW, is that an indicator the profile was loaded (or not)?

Update after more testing

The ‘invisible’ profile was apparently some kind of interaction (or something) with other profiles, config or something apparently.

My dynamic rules config had become unnecessarily convoluted so I pared it down to four rules:

The first full profile loads some sane defaults and the subsequent three partial profiles trigger cropping (only) if specific tags are found from in-camera crops. That’s sufficient for me now. At any rate, the Google DNG profile is now visible so it must’ve been somehow related to something in the prior set up.

However, regarding display of the currently loaded profile, here’s empirically here’s what I see:

Dynamically loaded profile:

Same profile loaded from a file dialog (folder button):

Same profile loaded via the combo (dropdown) list from the “my profiles” section:

IMO, it would be really nice if the currently loaded profile’s name showed regardless of the method. An additional (admittedly very minor) bonus could be maybe some kind of indicator showing how it was loaded (which I guess would imply it being changed to “Custom” when the first setting was subsequently made). Maybe if the name was prefixed with an asterisk that would indicate a dynamic load. But that’s really a super minor point and quite possibly of no use other than profile troubleshooting.

Anyway, kinda got my answer from a functional POV, although I’m not sure what really happened.

Hi,

that’s not possible in general. The point of dynamic profiles is that they are dynamic, so they don’t correspond to just one profile on disk…
Similarly for a profile loaded via the file dialog: what should the name be? the basename of the file?

Given that they apparently (?) don’t have an internal / intrinsic name that would be the most logical one, I suppose.

As I indicated, it’s probably of limited usefulness anyway. The thought initially arose after seeing inconsistencies in dynamic profile loading for some images, which is almost certainly related to the images in question. There were no conditions in the rule, it was just the only rule (albeit a dynamic rule). Obviously in reality there’s no reason to have a single no-condition dynamic rule, but I was testing with the simplest config possible. Sometimes it would load, other times not. So, seeing a positive “status indicator” would’ve been handy.

You can look at the console in verbose mode to see which rules are matching when loading a given file

1 Like