question about hardware acceleration

hi, my motherboard died this week and I’m considering my options, like if I should sell my 5 year old graphics card for $100 instead of putting it in landfill eventually and getting a cpu with onboard GPU instead, I’m curious if Rawtherapee uses GPU acceleration or if it uses multiple threads on a multi-core CPU?

I’ve also noticed that there are 12 core 24 thread CPU’s now which use the same amount of electricity as my current 6 core 12 thread, if RT is multi-thread more cores would also be a tempting option.

I’m really enjoying using RT, I’ve been trying out a dev build (release version) with some 40mp images which is quite a bit slower than the near real time performance I get with 26MP, I don’t know if that will speed up in time or if I should consider a newer generation CPU etc

RT does not use GPU acceleration, but does multi-threaded processing.

ok thanks :slight_smile:

Yeah. More cores, more RAM, fast disk I/O (NVMe sticks are wonderful!) are the keys

1 Like

I’m playing a little bit more and the stable 5.9 seems fine with the 40mp images, so I’m switching into the dev release when I want to render and living with the black stripe down the side in the meantime, I think the dev release is debayering every time a change is made or something at the moment, there’s quite a few messages in the bottom left about processes being done