Question: How secure is darktable? Are any of the pictures uploaded by default to an external server?

Hi all,

I’m working on a project that involves a couple thousand photos, and we needed a way to display them on a map.
Darktable seems to work fine, but we have a few questions regarding the security of the platform.
Are the images you select uploaded to any external server for any reason?
Is the program fully self-contained, i.e. does it need to communicate with any external servers for any reason other than the APIs for the maps?

Thanks guys, the software is great!

Generally no, but there are export options like pwigo that upload stuff.

Maps are downloaded, images are not uploaded.

But, you shouldn’t believe anyone, the code is open, you can verify for yourself what happens then build from the resulting code.

Hi,
you could try disconnecting your PC from any network and try to work as usual.

What will happen? Error messages or DT crash?

you‘re responsible for your data security - in difference to some other tools there‘s no library on your disk or in a cloud darktable copies your raw files and keeps care of them.
darktable just reads raw files from your disk or mounted directories on your system. It doesn’t change anything on your raw files, so you can’t even blame darktable if your raw files are damaged…
so: no backup, no mercy …

I think the OP’s concern was not related to backups, but rather avoiding uploads, keeping all data private.

I think it’s a good question. Personally, I don’t have concerns over Darktable’s security, in fact it’s probably more transparent than commercial products because the code is fully open for review. However, most of us don’t have the technical background to inspect the code to verify that the software doesn’t contain anything nefarious.

So the question is how do you ensure that the program doesn’t pose a security risk. Obviously, that would apply to any software you load on your machine

1 Like

I’m not too concerned about DT maliciously uploading files. So far I have little cause for worry. I have worked offline for days at a time, and I work behind a VPN almost all the time. I also keep track of which software is using the internet, so far, DT has not appeared to have done so. Also, I haven’t had a situation where DT gave an error message. Plus, nothing in it requires it to be in online mode. So I am not worried that DT will upload without my being aware.

Hope this helps

2 Likes