Questioning quality of Tamron lens focus

Hello all,

I do have the impression that the current lens I have has some issue with focusing when the focus point is far away, lets say more then 5 meters, and this at 70mm.

The lens is Tamron 24-70 f2.8 G2 mounted on the body Canon 90D.

Sorry don’t know how to add an example image.
But here a link to the raw files, in DPP4 you can see the focus point, an the birds or the church.

Hi @redgoblin83, and welcome!

Your two 70mm images are shot using
very slow exposures (1/15th, and 1/30th of a second).

In order to find a solution to your problem — make a few experiments. Like use a tripod… a cable release… short exposures…

At least that is a start.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I have done the same tests, other subject of course and indeed with a timer it is more precise.

I think I have been lured in the theory of shooting in Aperture mode, in the past I used manual (on anther body of Fujifilm x-pro2) and did not notice these issues. I think Aperture mode works well (more suited) for close up subjects.

1 Like

Thank you.

I presume you have still got Winnie the Pooh
around (probably looking for hunny).

When you have the time, make this experiment:
a) Take one photo where the lens autofocuses on Winnie’s nose.
b) With the camera in the same position, change the lens to Manual focus, carefully focus on Winnie’s nose, and take another photo.

Addendum: I just read up on Canon 90D’s autofocus system, which seems quite versatile: Canon EOS 90D Review: Digital Photography Review.
Perhaps you could experiment there as well?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Then I need to be closer to the subject of course?

For manual focusing I do use the LiveView only, and I also think that all the pictures with Winnie where done with live view. The reason maybe of the somewhat better focus. Probably the live view lest you go lower in shutter time then the optical viewer in the context of AF.