Questions about a monitor

Hi!

I’m interested in this monitor Benq BL2420PT (specs below), which doesn’t seem to meet all the criteria drafted in this thread:

My main goal is to buy an affordable monitor that would still allow me to get closer to a color managed workflow. I looked at the SW270C model, which seems to be specific for photography, but it is way too expensive in my currency, considering the current (high) exchange rate.

In summary, if this monitor allows me to improve like 50% or above the color rendering in my editing, compared to my Inspiron N4050 display, it would be worth buying.

The reasoning I’m trying to following is: it’s better to have a monitor that shows colors as they should be shown, even if it doesn’t meet the good monitor criteria, than working with my current display from a very cheap and old laptop, Dell Inspiron N4050.

I’m not interested, for now, in improving speed, just make sure I’m looking at correct colors.

Would this monitor fit this requirement?

Follow specs: (it’s in Portuguese because I didn’t find them in english, but I think they’re understandable)

https://www.benq.com/pt-br/monitor/design/bl2420pt/especificacoes.html

This is not only a monitor issue…for accurate color you need to be able to calibrate your monitor…your new monitor will be brighter likely and the display will be new so contrast etc should be better but for accurate color you need to calibrate your display and camera and apply this in the software you use for editing and viewing

Hi, Rei,

What graphics card do you plan to use with the monitor?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

They say the monitor is pre-calibrated.

Do you mean that I need an ICC profile that results from that calibration?

None for now, I’m planning to keep using my cheapy laptop. Better performance is not an issue for me, for now. I’m used to it. (Unless you tell me that without a dedicated graphics card it will worsen the current performance…)

I would say yes…first step is to calibrate your camera…so you would need a color checker…so now colors are being established properly …then they need to be displayed…New monitor may be calibrated to D6500 sRGB?? I really don’t know and this may be good enough but if you are to get really serious people can calibrate their monitor monthly with a device like a spyder or xrite that also tries to adapt for ambient light and the result is stored as a LUT in the monitor for those that support hardware calibration or is applied as an icc created by the calibration software…

This guy has a great deal of info on monitor calibration and I think is a Benq ambassador so you could reach out to him for a more informed answer…

https://www.youtube.com/c/ArtIsRight/videos

Evening, Rei,

I most certainly am not sufficiently proficient to give you a proper reply, but

Would a cheapy laptop (your words) be able to handle a monitor with

Resolução 2560 x 1440 QHD e 23,8 polegadas
100% de espaço de cores sRGB e REC 709

The datasheet of your present laptop ought to tell you
what maximum resolution &c it can handle.

Also, even if the monitor was calibrated when it left the factory,
you have to recheck/recalibrate it every 4th week or so.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Thanks @priort and @Claes for your thoughts.

I will let my project mature more, based on your info and more research.

One thing is becoming crystal clear to me: there’s no silver bullet (not even in my pocket…) nor cheap way (specially with these current extremely high exchange rates :dollar: :dollar:)

1 Like

I hear you…I would love to upgrade a few things but the prices just seem ridiculous…

1 Like

I think it’s 1366 x 768

But I sometimes play stuff from my computer in a much bigger display (smart tv) and it does seem ok…

Bigger display (size) has nothing to do with how many pixels are shown (resolution).
If you have the specs of your notebook, it maybe tells you how much resolution it can drive on the external display via USB-C, TB, HDMI oder DP (whatever is appropriate for your device).

Morning, Rei,

Unless it is a TV especially made for Brazilian futebol (i.e. 100" or so), why
not connect your laptop to it, start your favourite photo developing program
and see how it behaves?

Don’t forget to check different resolutions.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Good idea, @Claes .

Actually, I’ve tried it in the past and I didn’t felt confident about the results.

It seems to handle a bigger color space than my monitor (I couldn’t find its specs, but it’s an old entry level laptop display):

I believe I have to change the output color profile to one of these options, right?

Or should I just leave it at the default sRGB, as I will intend to export a plain web-safe jpg, and only adjust the preview display profile?

EDIT: It’s just half gigantic, but you’re right, people here love gigantic tv’s