Questions re PhF

Having tried the appimage, I have some questions…

• Under demosaicing settings, is IGV similar to VNG in DT? If not, would you consider adding VNG?

• In DT I use the profile denoise module. Are you considering adopting this type of denoising into PhF?

• Is there any way to change the default working profile setting to something other than sRGB?

• How is the best way to use shadows/highlights in PhF?

Loving what I see so far!

Cheers.

2 Likes

IGV is the same demosaicing also included in RT, and is, as far as I know (I’m in fact not a real expert in demosaicing), best suited for noisy high-ISO images. I think it is superior to VNG, but others might tell more about that (I’m invoking @Morgan_Hardwood, @heckflosse and @houz to help me here!).

Definitely yes! The first step has been to include DT’s non-local means denoising, the rest is work in progress…

In the RAW processing settings one can choose among different working profiles:

Is that what you mean?

Note that I’m working together with Elle Stone and few others on a much improved color management for PhF, which will hopefully be released before the end of the year… the code is for the moment available in a parallel git branch called “linear_gamma”.

The shadows/highlights algorithm implemented in PhF is the same as the one in DT, apart for the absence of bilateral smoothing (coming soon). I’m still learning this tool myself, but as a starting point you can refer to the DT manual (section 3.4.1.3).

Glad to hear that, thanks!

Take a look at Optimization of VNG4 demosaic (and converting to float calculations) · Issue #2262 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub, especially the initial post.

VNG4 used to be recommended for users of cameras such as Olympus which have two different green channels or an imbalance of green channels. RawTherapee has since become self-aware acquired two features to fix the problem (1. automatic global balancing of the two green channels, 2. a manual “green equilibration” slider), meaning you can use the other demosaicing methods without suffering from mazing artifacts. All I know about IGV and LMMSE is that they are very similar and most useful for noisy photos where you want to avoid the demosaicer causing sharp blotches.